Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Filling the final holes in my albums  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1311 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another option is to also buy a lower-grade SVDB in addition to the slabbed one and put it in the album. That way the hole is legitimately filled, but you can always tell your friends who are salivating over it, "Sure, it's nice, but now let's look at the REAL thing!", at which point you whip out the slabbed SVDB.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2965 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not averse to cracking out a slab or two. I mean...

However, when I finally got my 1909-S VDB, I didn’t crack that one. For cents collections, it’s very easy to just use a mint token. I haven’t run into this yet for other series so not sure what I would do.
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another option is to also buy a lower-grade SVDB in addition to the slabbed one and put it in the album.
Fixed it. My plan. A lower grade S-VDB will fit in withe my other early wheat cents just fine.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NYcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all! There are so many great suggestions to consider and I may even end up cracking it out when the time comes. After all, I'm never going to sell it myself. One suggestion that won't work for me is buying a second low grade example to put it in the album. I have a second album which is not very far behind the first and I can see myself at night staring at the ceiling saying "I can move the lesser one into the second album and crack out the good and put it the first album, then I'll be happy". Thanks again everyone, I'm a bit ahead of myself but the input is much appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After all, I'm never going to sell it myself.

Quote:
One suggestion that won't work for me is buying a second low grade example to put it in the album. I have a second album which is not very far behind the first and I can see myself at night staring at the ceiling saying "I can move the lesser one into the second album and crack out the good and put it the first album, then I'll be happy".
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MSI2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NYcoinguy-I understand your dilemma. I purchased a slabbed 1909 S VDB a few months ago. It completed my "circulated" Lincoln cent series (1909-2018). I left the coin in the slab for several months but looking at the only unfilled hole in my collection was driving my insane. So, after months of thinking to myself " do I crack or don't I crack, do I crack or don't I crack". I cracked and then cracked the slab. The hole is now filled and I'm content as a kitten enjoyiing my completed albums (LWC, LMC and LSC). If it will make you feel good. Crack it man! Remember you buy the coin not the holder.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11626 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I did.
Picture is a little blurry, it says
NGC XF45 BN

Picked up a pack of round printable labels, and asked my wife to print some for me. You can put in any Lincoln cent to
attach the label to. Or I used the cent size token from a mint set.
GoldRush58 - GR58
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MSI2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GR58-Great idea. Looks very good. I would make one small change. It look like you could increase the font size. It would make it easier on the eyes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2107 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm struggling with this myself. I've been working on a 7070 for several years. I was down to just 13 coins left and added the gold page. I'm now at 19 coins to go. I've got 3 that will fit in the album just fine but they are slabbed. I know that cracking them out & putting them into the album will be satisfying. I also know it will reduce their value when it's time to sell. It doesn't help that most of the unfilled holes are coins with higher market value.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That OCD sure can screw things up but there is one way to resolve the problem, Buy two 1909-S VDB's then you can live with yourself. Maybe not so much the wife though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16673 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would just crack it out and put it in the album. Done that many times myself.

Actually if you go to coin shows you could find those so called key coins raw. However, if you do, it would pay to walk around the place and ask other dealers if what you bought is real. Many eyes of professionals could help to make it safe.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't take them with you.

I break mine out. I like the look of complete albums. It give me a little more satisfaction knowing I took pictures of the coins in the slabs, scotch tape the actual bar code to the picture and put the pictures in the back of the album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. I know that cracking them out & putting them into the album will be satisfying. I also know it will reduce their value when it's time to sell. It doesn't help that most of the unfilled holes are coins with higher market value.

Oh for the good old days of coin collecting when a coin was a coin, valued as being a coin, and bought/sold for the coin it was. The focus of the hobby was on...drum roll...coins and not some third opinion brought in between the people trying to make a deal.

Buyers and sellers were responsible for their own actions/opinions/integrity/knowledge/wisdom, and no one cared what someone else thought. Every coin, not just keys, were valued depending on MM and mintage. The focus had not been narrowed to keys as much, and the term "junk silver" was generally relegated to things like dateless SLQs, culls and well-circulated 1960s coins.,

I DO understand the desire, in this case, not to crack. I think if it were me I would sell the slabbed ones and buy some raw ones for the album. That way the profit I made from the plastic and paper label (oh - the hologram also!) would be maximized and I could feel happy with filled holes.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
Yesterday 6:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1732 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just crack it out. It's lived most of its life raw. That token looks lame (in my opinion).
Even this would be better than that silly token.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/596105...BEgJdfPD_BwE

Edited by jimbucks
Yesterday 6:45 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05