Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 "3 Leg" Buffalo Nickel struck on a Foreign or copper Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  4:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kyleg02247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys,
So I was going through my collection and came across this 1920 Buffalo nickel. It caught my eye at first because of its strange color/Hue. At further inspection I noticed it has only 3 Legs or 3 1/2 hard to tell. The coin appears to be either scrubbed or similar to an example I found online of a 1936 Buffalo nickel Struck on a Nicaragua Cent Planchet. I am wondering if this is another variety of a 3 leg Buffalo nickel similar to that of the popular 1937-D and the 1913 3 leg. I know the error to be the result of a over-polished die so I would Imagine this would be similar. I was unable to find any such examples online nor one that has a similar appearance in color. Definitely need a little help on this one before spending the money sending into NGC, thanks guys. More importantly however, I would like to know about its metal content, and or if it has been struck on a foreign planchet . The weight is within range of a normal nickel, and its diameter as well. I will search if the US was striking any coins for foreign countries in 1920.
https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/193...a/434-2718.s

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28931 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing the discoloration is due to some environmental issue - perhaps it was buried, for example.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/14/2018 8:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5536 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is similar...I was thinking it was in a fire long ago and/or a metal detectorist's find having spent some of its life in the ground. But then again I see some lamination and what looks (remembering its a picture) like a mixed alloy making it look similar to a woody.

As to the three-legs, I see all four represented in the pic.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6692 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep - 4 legs. Maybe some kind of coating on it as you see on the reverse it is peeling off in a few small areas
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Edited by Mark1959
09/14/2018 6:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7178 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey at the very least it's a cool looking coin.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2043 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a further test, weight the coin. The Nicaragua 1 centavo weighs 3.9 grams vs 5 grams for the US 5 cents.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8454 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yep - 4 legs.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reiteratio ad echo e para ti?

Quote:
Content:75% copper 25% nickel
Weight:5 grams
Diameter:21.2 millimeters Edge:Plain
Designer:James Earle Fraser

Being that the ally is a bit of copper, it will react when exposed as both copper and nickel would, copper oxides and contact with iron and salt (southern soils) will do just this. Give it up Kyle, there just aren't that many "mint assisted" coin on wrong planchet errors that haven't been discovered byn now.
Edited by Crazyb0
09/14/2018 8:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8941 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm agreeing with Earle42 on all counts .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05