Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ultimate Coin Tongs - For Me At Least - Think Reptile!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
6079 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  5:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Twp sets of tongs are shown below, the first being a much better deal. Comparison included.

eBay Repltile Feeder Tongs:

Wizard Kointongs:

Comparison:

Wizard:
1. Length: five inches long
2. Max clamp width: 7/8"
3. Serviceable: No Plastic joints
4. Price: 2.21 + 4.00S&H = 6.21

eBay - Reptile Feeding Tongs
1. Length: ~7.5 inches
2. Maximum clamp width: No limiting mechanism
3. Serviceable: Yes blue plastic rivet could be replaced with nut and bolt.
4. Price: 1.88 shipped

Both clamp and stay clamped. Though the larger ones do not lock as tight - are easier to unclamp

I put some acetone on the new ones and rubbed it for awhile to see if the plastic would break down - it does not. Both clamps appear to be made of the same type plastic (I assume HDPE).

I have been using the Kointongs for awhile and liked them, but I like the longer reach, wider jaws, and price of the Reptile tongs much better,

Thought I would share.

Do an eBay search for Reptile Feeder Tongs, and then list by lowest price first. The only drawback is patience in waiting for overseas shipping.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
09/24/2018 6:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm ignorant on using these what do you use them for and wouldn't they mess a coin up clamping down like that and locking? Sorry for the questions
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know - I've been collecting for 40+ years and never found the need for coin clamps/tongs. I'd be scared to lose tension and on the floor the coin goes.

BTW, we all know what they are really used for -
Edited by Mark1959
09/24/2018 6:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6079 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use tongs for dipping coins into acetone to remove anything organic before putting the coins into a capsule or 2X2. This way I don't find a fingerprint or spots on them after a few years of being in storage.

Just in case - acetone is totally safe as it cannot alter the metal of the coin and will totally evaporate, very quickly,, from off of the surface once the coin is removed from the bath. Dipping in acetone is not considered "cleaning" which the hobby defines as a process which removes surface metal by chemical means or rubbing.

I also use tongs to handle loose proof coins.

As to the tongs hurting the coin - not a chance. The plastic is way too soft compared to the coin's metal. HDPE is the inert plastic that gallon milk jugs are made of. This plastic, obviously, cannot scratch or damage the coin's metal.

As to dropping the coin - this is why I typically work over a tablecloth, and the tongs themselves clamp until I release them.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dipping in acetone is not considered "cleaning"

Dipping? I usually give an hour soak then flip (the coin that is) and another hour. Sometimes I forget about them and they get an overnight soak and no problems - just a better job of taking off the gunk!
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the Kointongs don't melt in Acetone?
Let use know about the lizard ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good info. Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6079 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Mark
I have done the same, but since I use a baby food jar to soak them in (b/c it can be capped and holds a small volume), I can reach in with tongs and get the coin. Hence I use the acetone for more than one soak normally.

@Lionel
No, the Kointongs are not affected by the acetone, and I rubbed the reptile tongs with acetone for quite a bit to see if the plastic would deteriorate/react with them - it did not. Acetone will react with plastics it can dissolve rather quickly.

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
09/24/2018 6:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
can reach in with tongs and get the coin. Hence I use the acetone for more than one soak normally.

OH, never thouth of that - DUH, how stupid I am but I have a small funnel and pour the acetone back into the can. I guess I'm like that Mexican wrestler "El Stupido"
Pillar of the Community
United States
8980 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would assume both are made from polypropylene which is not affected by acetone or any other conserving solvent. I have a pair that are similar to the Kointong that a friend built the tooling for and molded several pair as gifts back in the late '90's. I'm pretty sure they're made from talc filled polpro if I remember correctly. Anyways, the living hinge is still as it was back on day one after many dunks in acetone and others. Here's an image I posted back in 2012.
Member SSDC, TNA
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11419 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to use these tongs when dipping my MS-67 Mercury dimes .

All kidding aside I have never used tongs ,but I do use Japanese chop sticks ( wooden ) with a rubber band and piece of cardboard tightly wrapped around one end .Then simply use them like a regular pair of chop sticks . They constantly hold the coin by the edges until you release one finger .No harm to coin or sticks . I will never use anything else .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chopsticks. interesting idea I had not thought of.

I have been looking for some tongs recently so great thread Earle.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18416 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some good ideas. However, after over 60 years of coin collecting, never found a need for those.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11419 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl , I have to ask you, how do you remove a coin from a jar of acetone ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4349 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand all your points. From where I sit, never ever. No way. Just the sight of those things scare me. I do the same thing with a baby food jar. I use cheap rubber latex gloves for dipping and acetone and cotton gloves for inserting coins into albums.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
6079 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad this was useful for some. Hopefully it can save some fellow collectors some money to spend on coins!

@Dave - Very nice set of tongs. Part of the reason I wanted something other than my Kointongs was so I could have something longer. Looks to me like yours would be great for this also.

@USSID
Makes sense to me what you do. To each his own I guess. I would have problems though trying fit my fingers into the jar to the the coin out.

Another route I had recently gone was to get a set of stainless, normally-closed tweezers. I plastic dipped the ends with the plastic dip used to make handles on hand tools. Unfortunately the plastic reacted with acetone.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05