Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Congratulations Set

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious what others take is on this years Congratulations Set. Is it just me or has it's popularity increased the past few years? Anyone plan on getting one?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11630 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the mintage limit is really none I have no interest
Pillar of the Community
United States
2738 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9265 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its popularity increased because the 2017 set contained the relatively limited S proof ASE. I think some folks thought that was going to carry over into 2018.
Edited by CelticKnot
01/09/2019 8:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CelticKnot is totally correct IMO. I too believe that the fact it is NOT this year an " S " minted coin, but a West Point Mint coin, also released on the same date as the Proof ASE from the West Point Mint, the EXACT same coin, with no mintage limit,I Always thought the "S" minted ASE in that set was special........... PS, I actually wish the coin was minted with an "S" MM, Looks like the "S" minted coin will be sold later this year alone and in the LESPS too, both Proofs. Our Son's Family are having Our First Grand-Son, He too will have one.....
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well last years was a "W" and it sold out so I guess we'll see if this latest trend continues or not. Well I guess technically the packaging sold out because the ASE is still for sale.
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well last years was a "W" and it sold out...

The Mint just decided to stop producing them. That's not a sell out of the product, just a marketing decision by the Mint.

If you call this a sold out status, then every coin the Mint produces is eventually "sold out"
Edited by BadDog
01/10/2019 08:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  08:36 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In theory, when the Mint says something either has unlimited mintage or a high mintage limit and then withdraws it from sale early it can catch some procrastinating collectors off guard. This one stopped under 20k...

The 2016 set was the start when it was pulled at around 5600 sold....last sale (4 days ago) was at $400

The 2017 set sold out in minutes at 75k (just under) because it was issued before the S PF was offered at a later date as a single coin

So 75k mintage....and the last sale (yesterday) was at $110...still not bad...all because of the "S"

The 2018 S proof with unlimited mintage was also withdrawn from sale early at 159k
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9265 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 2016 set was the start when it was pulled at around 5600 sold....last sale (4 days ago) was at $400

So someone paid $400 for a $50 coin minted in the hundreds of thousands and (maybe) $5 of packaging? Nice.

I'm kidding, of course... I'm no one to talk about that kind of thing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That one was with an ICG graded coin (ICG PR69DCAM), rather than just in OGP.

Still it's amazing what some folks will pay when they want something. One in OGP sold the day after Christmas. Asking price was $1,285 OBO. OBO was accepted at $1,100
Pillar of the Community
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the phone at 11;59
to place My order, I get a fumbling Newbie and at 12;05 I am told, SORRY, I see the sets are no longer available.... Not a Level Playing Field and as far as competent people, the U S Mint's people leave much tooo much to be desired............
Edited by morgans dad
01/10/2019 12:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That one was with an ICG graded coin (ICG PR69DCAM), rather than just in OGP.

Still it's amazing what some folks will pay when they want something. One in OGP sold the day after Christmas. Asking price was $1,285 OBO. OBO was accepted at $1,100

Correct on the "raw" set....didn't see the slab..

The $1100 raw one I just ignored figuring it can't be real even though it is listed as a completed sale...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see the sets are no longer available..

Wow! Missed this one. I kind of ignored it because of the common W proof AND NO MINTAGE LIMITS...

So probably a packaging issue like the Innovation proof. It most likely will be back as backordered
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So probably a packaging issue like the Innovation proof. It most likely will be back as backordered

There's just no way an unlimited mintage product becomes unavailable after just a few minutes so there's definitely some kind of issue going on with these.

I suppose it might also have something to do with the Government shutdown. It may not be business as usual at the Mint right now
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe they were so inundated with orders that they decided to just pull it and let things calm down a bit. I guess the hype the 2017 set caused is still going strong.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11630 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suppose it might also have something to do with the Government shutdown. It may not be business as usual at the Mint right now

Shutdowns have no impact on the mint. They're immune as their funding comes from their own fund from sales
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05