Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Best Way To Collect American Silver Eagle Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
51 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  12:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am wondering how most collectors collect American Silver Eagle coins.

By year? By mint mark? By type of finish (uncirculated, burnished, proof, etc.)?

I recently saw a list of American Silver Eagle coins by year. All of the bullion coins were listed. Oddly, some (but not all) proof versions were also listed. See http://silvereagleguide.com/mintages/

Thanks in advance.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1891 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on what you are wanting to do. Some people want one ASE of each finish, some of each mint mark, some of each year, some want to collect them all! All dependent on what your budget/plans are.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1553 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start with what You like, than expand from there depending on budget...good luck
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on whether you want raw or graded? For raw coins there are several Dansco albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6082 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only collect the silver proofs. But sometimes I wish throughout the years I had been getting one of each.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not much of a chance to collect circulated issues.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For such a relatively short run, ASE's are a confusing series.

I collect all of them where possible (not graded at this time), within my budget. Some specific issues escape my means but generally they're all attainable for $50-60 or (much) less, with the exception of one or two. I put bullion, Proof, Proof varieties, and UNC/burnished in my CAPS album. If I have dupes they stay in the OGP or if bullion, in tubes.

That's just me... collect how you like!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For such a relatively short run, ASE's are a confusing series.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
many moons ago, way back when, I did some reading on silver eagles before I started jumping on them, though my mind was mostly already made up. I read about them, saw how many of them there are & sized it up: I wanted one of each different type & variety. to me, that would make a proper silver eagle collection, to be able to get one of everything, whether it's raw, slabbed or in a set.

so I started with a very simple list, one of everything means one of each bullion strike, proof, and burnished coin for each year that they've been produced, and get any reverse proofs or enhanced uncirculated issues, and any special issues or error varieties. sometimes the purchase of a set of some sort is necessary to get certain coins, and that's fine, but I don't buy every set that a silver eagle is issued within. I really just want one example of the coin. sets take up a lot of room, lol, so I'm a minimalist on sets (and packaging), but I want the silver eagles.

i added two '08/ rev.'07 burnished silver eagles this year, so the only thing I have left to attain is the '95-W proof, and keep up with each new issue each year as they're released. i'll work on getting some slabbed specimens of particular silver eagles, but not everything.

I've had a whale of a time assembling the collection. it's been great, taken me several years to get it to where it is and I'm still adding to it. it's been great and I can babble endlessly about it. I hope you have as much of a good time assembling yours as I have had assembling mine.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the only thing I have left to attain is the '95-W proof...

Yup, that's definitely the key ASE!

I still have several bullion and proof issues from pre-2000 to complete my set (including 95-W of course). Picking them off slowly as good prices present themselves.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CelticKnot-

yep, same here, just waiting til whenever. it'll be a while before the '95-W so I'm in no real rush. I see there are plenty out there to find, slabbed or in a set. probably more. I'm not now in a position to go after it, so I focus on other things.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05