Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 $100 Bill Real Or Fake?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add natemorton1334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They did provide me with a copy of the counterfeit note report as well as a copy of the bill after I, as well as the teller, initialed the bill with a sharpie as well as the date, but I did find it a bit odd when they said I would not hear back unless it was authentic. Maybe that is not the case and I will hear back either way or so I hope.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36510 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Procedures vary, but that surprises me - the cost of contacting the customer is probably the least expensive step in the process.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9139 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just an update on this situation. I took the bill to Bank Of America this afternoon and they were unable to verify its authenticity as well. They agreed it did pass the counterfeit pen test but it did not register in their counting machine whatsoever. They also noted it appeared to have a few spots where the ink/print appeared to be wearing off as well as the margin on either side of the front of the bill was a bit off which also was a bit of a red flag. They filed a counterfeit note report with the Department of Homeland Security and took the bill to be sent in to be inspected. They said this process could take up to 2 months and I would only hear back if it was in fact authentic. Appears I may be out of $100

So a Bank of America branch in the U.S. was unable to confirm it was either authentic or counterfeit? Would they accept it for deposit or would they not? Pretty simple.

The paper on genuine bills is very difficult to duplicate. Here's another site to explore: https://blog.fraudfighter.com/how-t...er-banknotes
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36510 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
H-m-m. Guessing they did not accept it for deposit.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add natemorton1334 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The teller never 100% said it was fake, she just stated they had reasons to believe it was which led to the counterfeit report. They almost seemed unsure of what to do other than to send in the report. She never said they would not accept it but she pretty much only gave me the option to file the report without directly saying that is my only option, so that is what I agreed to. She said it is quite uncommon for a bill to be sent in thinking/knowing it is fake and it turns out to be authentic but there was a chance. I agree, it is not the ideal situation with them being unsure, but neither is this situation in its entirety either.

When going to write the date and my initials on the bill to be sent in a normal ink pen did not write on the bill at first and she mentioned someone could have sprayed the bill with something to make it so when checking with a counterfeit pen it would register as real? Not sure if that is a thing or not but that is why we had to use a sharpie instead. I am obviously no expert at this so that could be total BS but that is something that I do remember her saying.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36510 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that. Interesting that a normal pen didn't work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man that seriously looks like a security strip on the right quarter of the note in the reverse picture.. Wonder if it's a wash and print job. I feel like someone at the bank should have caught that though.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way I understand it, if the note is counterfeit you are not allowed to own it.
So, the bank has to "confiscate" it.

You won't get it back if it is fake, and technically you could face charges.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2021 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The way I understand it, if the note is counterfeit you are not allowed to own it.

I was not aware you were not allowed to own a counterfeit note.

These are mine...one is counterfeit.

Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My mistake, looks like you can posses a counterfeit Federal Reserve Bank note unless you intend to defraud someone with it.

"Possession of counterfeit United States obligations with fraudulent intent is a violation of Title 18, Section 472 of the United States Code and is punishable by a fine of up to $15,000, or 15 years imprisonment, or both. "

I do believe that a chartered bank is obligated to confiscate any counterfeit notes it encounters.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36510 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, and also agree it is not illegal to own one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4428 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve...

Based on the photo, the center note looks counterfeit to me. Jackson looks washed out and the background colors seem to be off.

Looks to be a pretty good counterfeit, though.

Is it on genuine currency paper?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
They are all bogus, send to me so you don't get in big trouble.
Pillar of the Community
586 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the bottom bill is fake.

Notice how it appears that the blue ink of the eagle on the left is on top of his hair. The top part of the wing is the most obvious.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lHDMn_ogRHU
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05