Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help! Whats Up With This V Nickel? Looks Like It Was "Fixed"?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  1:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kholroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone help me identify what happened here?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Railroad track maybe?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9704 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definitely PMD but I don't think that is from a train.
Learn More...
United States
13948 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCF considers a V nickel as classic, so I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.

Please review the forum section descriptions, so posts are made in the correct section.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1646 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the metal original, or has someone soldered the side?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8498 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
t I don't think that is from a train.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4075 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert. I suppose it's damage. This jagged edge gave me some pause. It almost looks like some type of lamination. How knows, not me.

I'm just glad it's not a 12-S.

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Edited by USSID18
05/19/2019 8:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly in a fire.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kholroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same metal, and yes, that rift is what has me scratching my head as well. It seems like a lamination issue, or at least started that way...the plot thickens. If it were easier to get detailed pictures to fit on here, it would be easier to help. I did what I could.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4075 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you get an angle shot of the area in question, something like this?

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kholroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kholroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope these help.

[]

Pillar of the Community
United States
4075 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, much better pictures for the experts. Good job! ! Like aristarchus123 said, looks like metal was added. Maybe someone tried to repair it. That jagged edge on the obv. just doesn't look like PMD to me. Lam or planchet error? Not sure or what you would call that. Others will chime in here.

Pillar of the Community
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD..and someone (within its 100+ year lifespan) tried to bang it back into a circular form in order to spend (IMO)
Learn More...
United States
72310 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18060 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I wouldn't put that in my Album.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05