Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guess Grade, 1906 Barber Half, Slabbed PCGS

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3444 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55
Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience. - Denis Waitley

I have a lot of experience - CoinsKelly
Pillar of the Community
United States
4430 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The darkness of the photos, or subdued lighting, kinda throws it off I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's in a 63 holder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog..Maybe I zoomed in to close....I see light scratches all over neck and cheek (maybe from wiping)..If thats not the fact, than with toning(for eye appeal) I'd say 61..

Edited: what about the gouge in the leaf above the ear?
Edited by Greasy Fingers
05/21/2019 11:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5020 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would attribute weakness on reverse high points (talons and arrow feathers) to strike rather than wear. I don't see any wear on the obverse. Luster isn't strong but still seems consistent with a mint state coin. MS-62 seems fair.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7317 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53
Pillar of the Community
United States
507 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carwash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

MS-62
Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in at AU 58.....
If higher, a third party blessing
is worth $$$ in the market.
FYI Everyone....
the hair above the eyes (forehead) and
below LIBERTY has A LOT of detail.
This might push the grade to MS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6828 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like a pretty good split between AU and uncirculated on this coin... Looking forward to seeing the reveal.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36546 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ken - we're dyin' here, how about it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an UNC, but a weak one. It's definitely a weak strike, especially for a Philadelphia coin. On the obverse, stars 3, 11, and 12 lack detail. There is weakness in the ribbon, ribbon knot, and heir over the forehead. The lack of luster looks more like toning than wear. On the reverse, the eagle's crown, inner feathers, and tail feathers show significant strike weakness.

My main concern is the eagle's left talon (our visual right). To me, the lack of detail there appears to be a soft strike. Ditto for the weakness on the NE part of the shield. I could, however, see a grader pausing on those areas.

The surfaces, however, look toned, but original. I don't see too many contact marks.

IMHO, if this were a full strike, it could go MS 64. The strike weakness, however, would knock it at least a half point, and likely a full point. I'm tentatively at MS 63 on this one.

I don't like the weak strike, though. I don't think it would bring full price with that strike.

Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was MS63. Straight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3235 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice grade -- my guess is your coin looks better in hand than in the pictures.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36546 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats - there's no arguing the beauty of this one!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05