Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883-O Morgan, Wicked Die Cracks, Toning, You Vs. PCGS

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8179 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  7:52 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Things I don't need: taxes, headaches, bills...or more Morgan dollars. Yet they keep sneaking into my collection...

1883-O with a rather impressive series of obverse die cracks and some lovely obverse colors. It's in a PCGS rattler. How would you grade it?

VAM-39A (R5), doubled ear, date digits in denticles, die chip in 1st 8, clashed reverse.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
05/26/2019 8:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5115 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, what a breathtaking beauty!

Second MS66 for me.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1497 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if it's because I really like it...what a beauty...MS-67
Pillar of the Community
United States
7011 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  01:39 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65 in an older holder I think. Beautiful coin, lots of character with thos die breaks. Great toning and color, would probably upgrade today, probably MS66 and maybe get a + or * for the better eye appeal. As New Orleans dollars go, this one is pretty nicely struck up too. Nice coin paralyse, worthy of any collection. Have you VAMed it yet? IIRC this is "your" date for Morgans.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40309 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I lean toward 65 as well, but 66 would not surprise. Lovely!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7536 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65+
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
826 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin!

I'm pausing on a grade. Here is a closeup of the hair above the ear. I can't tell from the photo whether this is discoloration (disruption in toning) or a rub from slight circulation. Two things lurk in the background of my question. First, the coin has the typical New Orleans strike, and strike softness can easily masquerade as wear. Second, silver dollars were not popular in New Orleans, and the New Orleans mint regularly received lightly circulated coins back from banks, and returned them to mint bags.

Here's a closeup of the hair in question, from your first photo. With the coin in hand, you are in a much better position to make that call. If it is just toning, then I agree you are looking at a 65. (The marks on the lower cheek and neck and on the eagle's breast are just slightly too heavy for a 66, IMHO.)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1564 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid MS-65, beautiful toning!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65+
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cboyera to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet the older rattler said 64.

I love the toning and amazing crack though! I struggle with these, while I know NO is famous for its weak strikes, in the strictest sense of grade, how can a weak strike be a gem? That being said, I would say it is a gem (65+) because we know better, but still not 100% comfortable saying so...
Pillar of the Community
United States
8711 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-65
Pillar of the Community
United States
8980 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS65 in an older slab, MS66 at todays' standards. A marvelous example of what would appear to be a terminal die state and yet the mint cranked out numerous (pronounced hundreds possibly thousands of) examples. What's not to love about 18830-O die pairings....
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1187 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-65 on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if PCGS saw it as a 64 back in the day.
The 2 contact mark's slightly below and to the left of liberty's eyes hold it back from a 66 (prime focal area), but in hand may not be as prominent as the images portray.
Nice coin, worthy of a visit to cac.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8179 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I did pretty good on this one!

PCGS Rattler grade: MS64.

I think it might have a shot at a bean but I have never submitted anything to CAC.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40309 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seriously undergraded by today's standards. Really.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8980 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one should bean...Gold at that....
Member SSDC, TNA
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05