Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post-Strike Damage: A Plague For Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37924 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Post-Strike Damage: A plague for coins
PSD can be a short time event for some coins that are intentionally damaged by altering the design on a coin. There are so many ways that a coin can be altered, but I'm not covering all of them on this thread. This is where you can add images to show what you have found out there in circulation.
What is PSD? Usually a coin that catches your eye as different, to a new collector. But they are just damaged coins. While it is nice to know what can happen to a damaged coin, we sometimes can only guess. But a damaged coin is a damaged coin. But we often see the same things over and over. Someone with too much time on their hands will intentionally damage a coin, trying to make something that they can sell off to one not knowledgeable about coins. So when they discover it doesn't look like an error coin, what do they do with it? They spend it. And these finds end up here. So I gathered a few images of coins that new ones have posted recently. But I have probably hundreds more of images I can add later to this thread. But here we go:

So add to this thread. Also add what you feel the PSD is. This way new ones can read this thread to see what they may have found. Enjoy!
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37924 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Acid Dipped coins.

Encased cents damage: (Best to leave the coins in the holders. At least then they still have some value. Take them out and all you have is a damaged coin.

Coin wrapper damaged:

Intentional Damaged coins:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
06/19/2019 12:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2565 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop, now if only the new posters could be directed to look here first, they could save a lot of time...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11921 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice @coop. Consider adding further explanatory text to that last coin that it is a vice job.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37685 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful tutorial and thanks to the master!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37924 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I had more images, but for some reason, it would allow all of them to be posted. Not sure what the issue was. Nothing but coins listed. (Mentioned an issue on the page)
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
Norway
148 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aleroe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st picture. The stare quarter.
How come the scratch is below the letters?
Learn More...
United States
73203 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4175 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Referring to the very top picture titled as ** vending machine damage **
I am puzzled as how this could be possible that the planchet was scratched but the devices were not at all effected!! you are saying that the scratching was jumped over the devices without damaging,scratching or effecting them! As I mentioned in the other topic a day or so ago I do have examples of this type scratched planchet and they all look to be pre-strike and the devices were struck on them.
But thank you for the wonderful collection and thank you for your hard work coop.
Edited by Chase007
06/19/2019 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1st picture. The stare quarter. How come the scratch is below the letters?

Images can fool with depth perception. I'm thinking the devices are recessed, not raised on the coin. The damage skirted across about field level, not under the incused devices. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
06/19/2019 6:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
720 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey moderators...can this be cross posted on the Canadian error forum? this is very informative...thanks Coop for sharing this!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05