Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Coin Collecting

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dan John Longano to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to this forum so I hope my post is in the right place. My question is, some people make a big deal when they discover a silver coin. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a nickel or a half dollar. I think some coins are ninety or forty percent silver. Is this a good investment, do they melt the coins down? Please explain, I'm very new to this hobby. Thank you in advance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13579 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
some people make a big deal when they discover a silver coin

I'm definitely one of those people. I get excited not because I'm making money, but because I'm finding a part of history.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12596 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the time when people get really excited they had found it in change or for face value. Any of those found for face value are worth more than face value hence the excitement. There are a percentage of collectors that think that real money has to be silver or gold which is a different dicussion, but the short answer really is just they are excited they found something worth more than they paid
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10222 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  03:39 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the short answer really is just they are excited they found something worth more than they paid

That's mostly it. However, I don't think many people are melting and refining war nickels or 40% coins. It can be a hypothetical excitement in some cases.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing like finding some hard money in circulation. I can't say it's ever happened to me, but I certainly would be delighted if it did.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11865 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this day and age finding a silver coin 1964 and earlier is very exciting simply because they are no longer made for circulation .Plus their silver value makes for a real nice find . For some of us old timers using silver in every day exchangers prior to 1965 was never an excitement . But stop making a coin with intrinsic value and after 40 or 50 years they become sort after just like 90% silver is today .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2602 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't say it's ever happened to me, but I certainly would be delighted if it did.

I hven't found a silver dime or quarter in circulation for a long time, but I still find a couple of war nickels a year. One of the places I work has a cash register, so that helps.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dan John Longano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some collectors want to collect for the history, but they are just collecting silver. I see some people buying boxes of rolled coins from banks, sorting through and picking out the silver. Do they hoard the coins, or do they sell them somewhere because of the silver content?
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1011 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
today with the relatively low silver price, buying post WW2 silver coins is indeed a good investment
holland (guldens, rijksdaalders) france (5 fr semeuse) and switzerland (2 fr 5fr)

for coin collecting I agree with Spence; history is very interesting
Learn More...
United States
78553 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10967 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dan John Longano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the answers and warm welcome.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5722 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's anyone's guess what will happen to silver. Historically, silver value mostly kept pace with face value until the early 60s, when it began to sneak past, culminating in the removal of silver from circulation almost worldwide. It crept up slowly until the Hunt brothers attempted to corner the market in the early 80s. During that time, nearly all circulating silver was removed, and a pretty large percentage of it was probably melted. It held fairly steady at about $5/oz from the mid 80s until the mid 2000s, where it shot up to almost $50/oz again in mid-2011 (still kicking myself for not offloading all of my silver then!) and has been slipping ever since. It has been pinballing between $14 and $17 for the last few years, and hasn't gone below $13 in over a decade. Thanks to inflation, I don't think it's possible for silver to ever go below $10 again. I'm sitting on several ounces that I intend to offload if it ever hits $25 again. If I'm lucky, that will let me buy a new TV or a nice grill; certainly nothing to retire on.

With few exceptions, coins are a poor investment. As far as hobbies go, they are highly liquid and at least shouldn't lose much value, but precious few coins gain value at all, let alone ahead of inflation. A much better bet would be to buy coins to flip for a quick and modest profit, and then invest that money (or even just the profit) into stocks, or if you are brave enough, crypto.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18670 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Keep on looking.
just carl
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dan John Longano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" I'm sitting on several ounces that I intend to offload if it ever hits $25 again. "

Are these old silver coins that you have, and if so, who would you sell the coins to?
If you decide to sell when the price is higher, who would want to buy it?
This is all new to me. I purchased a metal detector, and have found coin collecting
and metal detecting are made for each other.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chances are that silver coins even in low grades will always be worth more than their face value in our lifetime so if you get one in your regular change or find one searching rolls from the bank it's a win. I own a retail business that still does a lot of cash transactions so I tend to find more than most people but even so I might find a dime every month or 2 and a quarter a couple times a year. Funny that last week I found 1 of each but that is rare.

There is a mixture of opinions on the wisdom of buying silver for an investment but collecting it from circulation is basically free (or rather very cheap) money.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05