Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Before I Knew Better, I Cleaned Some Wheats :(

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
161 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yep, now I know, but it happened. I cleaned a few wheats a year ago, I'm not selling them, but I don't like the way they look, although in a year they have toned better than I expected. None are what you would call Key Dates, but I was wondering is there anything I can do to restore the toning? Or will I just need time. In 1 year they look pretty nice, so I'm thinking in a few more they will look better. I was almost tempted to put them in a sock drawer, but short of that, anything I can do?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40423 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some pics to start?

to the CCF!
Valued Member
161 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, but I have to post tomorrow. Its late and the dog needs a walk and the light is bad (my other hobby is photography).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12740 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics will certainly help, but depending on how you cleaned them, even naturally re-toned surfaces may still show evidence of your youthful indiscretion. A description of your cleaning process could be helpful.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
161 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish it was I dipped them in acetone, nope these were dipped in vinegar and salt for a few days and then put into transmission fluid to remove any verdigris. The coins were circulated and really dark, that's why I decided to "clean" them.

In case you are wondering, the way to treat meteorites (yes I seem to have a few hobbies) is to store them in transmission fluid as TF has rust inhibiting qualities. Hence why I "cleaned" the wheats that way. This wasn't a lot, just of few that look like they got some type of environmental coating. They were stored in a metal container. The cleaning worked, it removed the crud on them along with the toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12740 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok well, you didn't scrub them mechanically did you? Maybe the surfaces were just stripped...
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
161 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did rinse them off in acetone and did a light pat with a towel. Vast majority lost the toning a few I see hairlines but these were probably cleaned before. I think the crud was some kind of reaction as these were my dads and he had them in aluminum foil with silver coins inside a tin box. At least these (and the black silver coins) were saved my mom spent all the nice "shiny" silver ones. I'll post pictures tomorrow but after looking at them maybe just a few years will return the tone back. Let's see tomorrow if I just need to wait or is there another solution.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys, what about just leaving them in the direct sunlight for however long...?
Valued Member
161 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did leave them on a sunny window for a few weeks, I wasn't rotating them so one side was getting darker than the other so I had to rotate them everyday. That seems to have worked, I'm just now trying to get an even color back. Sunny windows seem to darken really quick with uneven toning if not careful.
Valued Member
161 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok some pictures. These were cleaned about 6 months ago. They were wrapped in foil in a tin box with silver coins. The silver coins I ended up selling for the melt value (some were in XF shape) but black with tarnish. The pennies turned the pink brown color originally. After a few weeks being rotated in a sunny window this is what they look like, as you can see there are areas that are toning better. So what can I do to get to tone evenly? Or just use them as pennies and spend them?

Learn More...
United States
76282 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep them in your pocket for a year or two and they will probably go back to a normal look.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've certainly seen vinegar coins that look much worse than these. But, a couple of them have permanent damage - not necessarily from the cleaning, but from environmental attack. All in all, not awful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I'll bite...
"In case you are wondering, the way to treat meteorites (yes I seem to have a few hobbies) is to store them in transmission fluid as TF has rust inhibiting qualities"

I too collect meteorites, and I'd never ever treat them this way. Just like coins, natural patina adds character. Besides collecting cars, I'd recommend never cleaning anything. Just my two pennies, err, two cents.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18435 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Place a pine board on the window sill and place coins on that.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05