Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your Opinion Please. The Palladium Mercury Dime From The Mint?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You clearly don't understand what you are talking about
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So please enlighten me in how a coin that its value is based on its precious metal content, is not bullion?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18270 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are bullion coins and collector versions of those bullion coins. This Palladium coin is being issued as a collector grade coin, not a bullion version. Or have I missed something?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are bullion coins and collector versions of those bullion coins. This Palladium coin is being issued as a collector grade coin, not a bullion version. Or have I missed something?

You nailed it
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets do a hypothetical. I purchase a Reverse Proof ASE and I purchase a set of 20 Bullion ASE coins. I look at the bullion coins and find 3 that are MS 70. I ship those off to a grading service and they come back MS70. Now I have a "bullion" coin that has a collector value associated with it, because its rated an MS70.

That really nice reserve proof while I'm looking at it, I drop it on the tile floor and my dog attacks it as he is afraid of it. The reverse proof has a bite mark, if I try to sell I may get only melt value for it.

So in this case I changed coins that are "bullion" into a collectible and I changed a coin that was a collectible into Bullion. Whether or not you pay for the premium is up to you, but to me each coin is worth only its melt value and a small premium, so each coin is really bullion. Whether you call it collectible or not is meaningless, the market decides the value of the product. As to any of these being "numismatic" is irrelevant, none of them where created as actual currency. They both have a value of $1 but the melt value is so much higher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to laugh

"Quote:

You nailed it"

Its funny as you just agreed with me. These are collector versions of those bullion coins
Edited by hfjacinto
09/20/2019 8:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS considers these as bullion, regardless of the special finish.
https://www.PCGS.com/prices/us
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I look at the bullion coins and find 3 that are MS 70. I ship those off to a grading service and they come back MS70. Now I have a "bullion" coin that has a collector value associated with it, because its rated an MS70.

Once it's a graded 70 it's no longer just a bullion coin, it's numismatic value outweighs melt barring a huge run up in spot price that never lasts long anyways.

Quote:
That really nice reserve proof while I'm looking at it, I drop it on the tile floor and my dog attacks it as he is afraid of it. The reverse proof has a bite mark, if I try to sell I may get only melt value for it.

You'd still get more than melt.

Quote:
So in this case I changed coins that are "bullion" into a collectible and I changed a coin that was a collectible into Bullion. Whether or not you pay for the premium is up to you, but to me each coin is worth only its melt value and a small premium, so each coin is really bullion. Whether you call it collectible or not is meaningless, the market decides the value of the product.

Like I said you are just pushing your opinion as fact because that's what your opinion is. As you said the market determines the value and the market HAS shown for decades the collectors versions are NOT bullion

Quote:

Its funny as you just agreed with me. These are collector versions of those bullion coins

No I didn't, I knew exactly what he meant.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'm good. You believe your way, I'll believe mine. I will say I did enjoy the discussion. And I hope you got no feelings of malice out of discussion, its a simple debate on semantics :)

Edited by hfjacinto
09/20/2019 9:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No malice at all, I just want it to be accurately described. If you want to view them as bullion by all means do so that's your right although many versions of them you wouldn't be able to acquire. It's just when people start calling them that in a thread it could confuse someone new instead of teaching them about the different versions and letting them decide which one they want.
Edited by basebal21
09/20/2019 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10109 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So please enlighten me in how a coin that its value is based on its precious metal content, is not bullion?

Value is always dependent on the market. You can have your opinions on what something is worth but if there is no one to pay what you're asking or accept what you're offering, you're fooling yourself.

Some people have the opinion that numismatic PM coins from the mint (proof ASEs and the like) are just bullion, but the market says you'd be hard pressed to buy a proof ASE or AGE at spot unless it is damaged.

Collect what you like. Make smart decisions if you are a flipper/speculator. Above all, enjoy this hobby.

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roger Engelken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stick with the original, the Liberty Head or Mercury dimes. They are quite a bit smaller, and thus far at least, quite a bit less expensive to collect, even in mint state condition. Of course, I only have four years, 1942 through 1945, all mints.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2796 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Value is always dependent on the market

totally since whenever anyone asks the value of any piece of metal it's always based upon 'whatever anyone is willing to pay for it.' Once again the market molds the offer and consequently the perceived value.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05