Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Time Travel To France 1915 - Propaganda, Banknotes And War Bonds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Sweden
123 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  4:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(If you are not interested in anything but the bond itself, skip to the end of the text. If you like a bit of background, keep reading. )

Interested as I am in history, I find great pleasure in studying not only old coins and banknotes as such, but also the historical, financial and political background to why they were emitted and why they look the way they do. Recently I have turned my eyes to bonds and related documents. I find that these can be even more fascinating as they are often tied to specific historical events, plus they sometimes have the name of the bearer. That gives an extra dimension and a personal touch, and to me it opens up a window into events in the past.

So, allow me to open up such a window and bring you back to France, 1915. The World War has been going on for a year - to what was supposed to be a short war and quick victory, no near end is visible. The cost of the war is high - in lives, of course, but also in francs. Even though the Banque de France has had the foresight to cumulate gold over the years before the outbreak of the war, those reserves are being depleted. The French government is in dire need of hard currency to finance the war efforts, and turns to the public for help. It is well known that many have hoarded gold and silver in these times of unrest - the suspension of the exchange of banknotes into gold coins due to the war has also made people stick to whatever gold they have. Now the government needs to convince people to let go of those tangible belongings and exchange them for banknotes and bonds - papers of uncertain future value...

A massive propaganda campaign is launched. It uses all forms of media, among them this postcard with its very aggressive rooster. The text reads "For France, turn in your gold - Gold fights for victory". The backside text in red urges to "Subscribe to bonds for the national defense".

What we see on the postcard is the classic 20 francs Marianne/Gallic Rooster gold coin, minted in millions, which is typically the gold coin found among the public.

(Noteworthy is that the postcard coin is dated 1915, while in actuality minting of gold coins ceased 1914.)

Having followed the to call to turn in one's gold, the 20 francs gold coin is paid with this 20 francs banknote (it is old-stylish already in 1915, the design being from the 1870s):

Madame Jean Sarre lives in the town of Limoges in southwest France, quite far from the front lines, but most likely she knows someone there. She does not hesitate to exchange her 300 francs in gold - a sizeable sum, two months pay for a worker. This takes place on August 5, 1915, as stated on the receipt she obtains.

The payment she gets is in the more modern 100 francs notes (design of 1904).

The campaign to turn in gold is a success. In 10 weeks, 650 million francs in gold is collected.

The first of four defense loans is launched in November 1915. To engage as many as possible to buy war bonds, they are emitted also in small denominations, 5 and 20 francs.

Monsieur Julien Tessier from Vichy in central France is retired, and too old to enlist. He lives in small circumstances, but he can still buy a 5 francs bond. The bond will give an interest of 25 centimes when reimbursed after one year.

The bond is a bearer bond, but to show that he has participated in the defense loan, M. Tessier obtains a certificate with his name. The certificate is large, it is in folio format (32 x 22 cm) and he will frame it and put it on his mantelpiece.

We do not know how the war affected Mme Sarre and M. Tessier. All we know is that they are real persons, and we do know they made their contribution to the war effort, thanks to the documents they left behind and which have been preserved for more than a hundred years. With some luck, they will still bear witness to their deeds in another hundred years. I will do what I can to make that happen.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2865 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. But how do you know that M. Tessier was retired?

If you could find out more about these people, it would be quite a little story!
Valued Member
Sweden
123 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That I don't know. I'll admit I took some artistic liberty to create a story around these people, about whom I know little more than their names. I like to imagine what life was like for them, adding a few characteristics and plausible circumstances give them life.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4057 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice items
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United States
1527 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very interesting read and wonderful items on display. I, too, enjoy the history behind these artifacts. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I've always liked the 20 Fr gold rooster and hope to add one to my set someday. One of these bonds would be a nice accompaniment to it.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2019  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like tying all these together with a narrative. Interesting pieces and well written story! Thanks for posting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05