Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 H Single Serif N - Thoughts?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 80 / Views: 5,693Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are more out there.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15121 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are more out there.

Edited by Dorado
02/13/2020 10:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dorado .... that's not a single serif N.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15121 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dorado .... that's not a single serif N.

Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1881H SSNs is certainly a minor variety in the great scheme of things. My guess is it's from a partially-used 1876H obverse that was carried over.

That being said, it is an easily-recognizable variety, is listed in the standard catalogs and is well known to be really scarce -- all positives. So there are going to be people who want one badly and will pay up for one. How much is hard to say, but in my opinion two determined bidders could easily push your coin north of $1000. It's most unlikely that a hoard of them will ever turn up! And yours is a pretty nice one.
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry to resurrect this post but I have a question for papeldog. Just wondering if your coin has a doubled last 1 in date. Just looking at mine and noticed on my coin. I tried to message you but it won't allow me too. Sam
Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sammeli, that may be a clash mark instead of a doubled 1.

There is another topic on CCF that shows several similar clashes at the 1. It's on the first page of the thread near the bottom.

http://goccf.com/t/327070&SearchTerms=1881
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for info
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1478 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sammeli, no mine is a regular 1 on my ssn, but I do have a 1881 with the die clash 1
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for checking
Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This brings up some interesting questions about the 1881 SSN.

Are there two different 1881-H reverse dies? (unlikely)
or
Are there two different die states of the same reverse die? (probably)

and

Is there an 1876-H or 1882-H reverse paired with the same obverse die?

It sure would be fun to compare high resolution photos of all of the known 1881-H SSN's.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil: The questions that you raise might have already been answered (kinda) by someone who has been doing what Haxby has done with the '59's and attempting it with the Vicky Obv 1's, 1a's, 1a/1's and 2/1's. I think that the info might be available, in some manner, in the next few months, who knows?. Also, I don't think that Sammeli was talking about his coin being a SSN ... at least the way I read it.

Yes, there are a number of '81 Reverses. The Reverse dies wore out/broke about 3-5 times the Obverse dies. I would estimate that there were 25-30 Obverse dies for '81 total (1 & 1a).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is/was my 1881 SSN that is now in someone else's collection. Here's a few shots of different parts of the Obv, one of the reverse and an old QX5 shot of the "offset 1", that I agree may be a clash. I'd have to look at them again some time .. I originally thought that it was an MD.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1478 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reading over your posts I decided to examine mine again you are correct my ssn does have the die clash. I looked at it again with better lighting and at different angles it shows up sorry for confusion
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim: I don't think that my '81 had the die clash ... and what was the die clash from? What part of the Obv?
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 80 / Views: 5,693Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05