Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875 Trade Dollar & Taiwan General Yuan Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 810Next Topic  

Malaysia
1 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  01:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yamato to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,
Im new here, the reason I joined is because an elder in my family shown me 2 coins that she has been keeping for many years and she is certain that they fetch a fortune!

Yet I have zero knowledge in coins, thus I snapped some photos and share them here to find out if they are genuine? how to spot the fake coins? what are they worth?

Im more than happy to hear from any of you guys! so please enlighten me.
and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF...well if you can post pictures here, you can google images of a 1875 Trade dollar and then tell us if you think it's real or fake. As far as your second coin (not my field) but I feel it might go the same route as the Trade dollar....good luck
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to say, but they're fake
Learn More...
United States
17110 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@yamato, first welcome to CCF. Second, aren't these coins supposed to be silver?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35505 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. First thing is to weigh them. Then do the tissue test to see if they are silver. Then the magnet test.The Trade dollar looks faker than fake.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
12/31/2019 07:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17276 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been around coins for a while.
Since I was a kid, now I am an old guy.

Experience says:
both obviously fake.

I have genuine examples of both in my main collection, and
fake examples of both in my 'black' collection.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add misfit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@yamato

High res pics of real Trade dollars:
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin.../images/7036

that fake is actually missing a star at 3 o'clock
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Fat Man is supposed to be one of the most faked coins ever.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Learn More...
United States
90010 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3699 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@yamato .... I agree that these are obvious fakes, as stated. Hold a kitchen, refrigerator magnet on both pieces. Chances are strong that they'll be attracted to the magnet. Silver is not attracted. A genuine Trade dollar with little wear will weigh 27 grams or slightly more. Chances are, your piece weighs much less; this, typical for these older, crude fakes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Trade dollar looks like something off a cartoon. Obvious fake.
Looking for pre-1961 Russian and Soviet coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I especially like the 12-star obverse on the counterfeit Trade. I wonder which state got voted off of Founders Island?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 810Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05