Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

About This Forum And My Many Silver Dollar Submissions, Please Chime In

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I read this post by srs77 this morning as I was about to submit another silver dollar for grading and comments. It was titled (and you can find it down below) "I guess I'll Steer Clear For a While" it reads .................

Quote:
"To those that took a look at two threads I started, many thanks. Unfortunately this forum has become clogged and quite smothered. I mean no ill will but when one poster lists 60+ threads it squeezes out the opportunities for others to get thoughts on something they may want looked at. I'll come back at a later date when things quiet down..."

This was posted by srs77, and he has nearly 3,000 postings and comments here at the Coin Community, I have a little over 100. His post was obviously directed at my coin submissions, and I have only posted 60 and intended another 200 more at least. As a matter of fact I just took pictures of #61 and was ready to post another 5 or so today, and that's when I saw his post.

Perhaps I misunderstand the reason for this forum, or perhaps he did. Honestly I don't know which of us has it wrong. I did query the members before my first post and asked if it was OK to submit this many coins, and at the time I got a thumbs up. But then again, that was then. Perhaps now that I have "clogged and smothered" this forum with my many submission posts, some of you may feel differently now. I have also noticed since I started posting my coins to this forum, that many if not most of the coins submitted here for the forum members to comment on and grade by other folks, are usually more valuable and of the highest quality MS+++ coins, and so sometimes I feel a bit out of sorts, wondering if the members here get bored with my many losers. Some even VF coins, some grade below that, and some are even cleaned and scrubbed with nothing but a details grade. But I console myself thinking that both I and the other forum members all must gain from evaluating both imperfect and perfect, and everything in between, AG to MS-70. After all, how good could good wine be if you've never tasted bad wine to compare it to?

So I'm posting this because I'm a bit confused. Is srs77 correct, and by me submitting this many coins (as I do), is it putting too much of a strain on the forums members ability to look at them all, to grade them all? Is the preferred intent here to only have a few submissions now and then so that the forum members can mull over each of the coins in depth, and then comment on each of the coins submitted at their leisure for weeks at a time rather than a whole lot of coins to look at all within a short time? Have I overwhelmed you all? Is that what he meant when he said "clogging and smothered"?

Well if that really is the general consensus, that's OK, I don't need my silver dollars commented on or graded at this forum, and just because I'm having fun doesn't mean I get to ruin it for others. Of my first 60 I've posted here, I've already re-graded a number of them because of you comments, even marked about a half dozen for sale because after photographing them and submitting them here, I realize now they weren't all I thought they were cracked up to be when I acquired them. I don't agree with every comment or grade, but then again that's life, and coin grading is somewhat subjective.

But with all that being said, and trying to look at this from another persons perspective, if srs77 isn't the only one that feels like he does, I certainly don't want to clog up or smother this forum. So I'm asking for some sort of an opinion from as many of you as choose to reply to this post. I'll try not to be too offended, after all, I understand that most of you have been here much longer than I, and so I assume that there has been a certain feeling of forum ownership by long time members, and that there must be a certain way of doing things that many if not most of you are used to, and then to have some new kid (well not exactly kid, I'm retired) come along and rock the boat, must kind of mess it up for some of you. I don't want to be that person that comes along and messes things up for others, and I think from his post ...... srs77 thinks I am. I'm sorry srs77 that I made the forum less inviting to you, so I'll abide by what the general consensus is to this post. If more folks agree with your opinion, I'll take my boat elsewhere and let the waves settle. And if more feel that my many posts are OK, or perhaps even a nice change, then I'll stay, and I'm sorry then if I messed it up for you. I imagine you'll learn to cope, as I will if the consensus goes against me.

I know that I asked something similar to this before I started posting the first of my silver Dollars, but reading this post from srs77 this morning has me re-examining this question again.

So forum members, let me hear your voices again concerning the decorum of this forum.

Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
02/17/2020 2:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
15432 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@khg, I generally stay out of the grading sub-forums so have no dog in this race. I do want to say up front that this current thread of yours shows quite a bit of care and self-awareness on your part. Even if all the other responses below mine are negative, I would at least like to thank you for the contentiousness and care that you are showing for our forum by pausing to ask this question.

My two cents on posting dozens and dozens of coins for grading is that it seems to me like after the first ten or 20, you should be able to do a pretty good job on your own with the grading. Or maybe you have been posting Morgans of wildly different grades--I'm not sure. This forum exists to educate you and so I hope that you feel pretty confident in your own grading skills, perhaps with a periodic course-correction? Or maybe rather than focusing on just getting a number grade for each coin, follow-up to the replies about why they are picking a specific grade--which detail(s) are the focused on either being visible or worn away, etc. I hope this makes sense...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1207 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure don't have any problem with the posts. Part of the fun in the hobby is rubbing shoulders with other collectors and learning from each other. Not a day goes by on here that I don't learn something new. My grading opinion plus a dollar will buy a cup of day-old gas station coffee. Collectively, though, the wisdom on these boards settles on pretty good grade estimates.

Hey, every show I do, I grade dozens of coins and ask others to do the same. Some are offered for sale, others are dealer-to-dealer "whatcha think?" opinions. I wouldn't see much fun in being a coin collecting hermit!

Keep on posting them!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing wrong with it. Participation in all the topics is urged. We will eventualy get around to responding to all.
If you got um, post um!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8036 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, I don't really think you need to post all of them. I recommend picking the best 10 or 15 or the ones you spent the most money on, and posting those for grading opinions. On common date, low grade silver dollars, the grade is irrelevant since they are only worth melt.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Edited by CoinCollector2012
02/17/2020 2:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
831 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My two cents on posting dozens and dozens of coins for grading is that it seems to me like after the first ten or 20, you should be able to do a pretty good job on your own with the grading.

I agree with this, but I also don't care how many coins you post, I am only going to look at what catches my interest.

It also seems silly to me to say "I'm going to be staying away" because one made a post and didn't get as many responses as quickly as one would like. Childish, one might say.
Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to be with some of the other respondents...keep posting....its what I thought this site was here for.

When I initially read the thread you're mentioning I read into it somewhat differently...I'll try to explain
I felt that the comments were directed towards other prolific posters. Some who post on dozens of threads in a single sitting and only adding a 'thumbs up' or a short one or two word response that doesn't really leave an informative answer or input. So if you're unlucky enough to put up a post you were hoping to get feedback on, it's now buried and doesn't appear on the recently active topic page any longer and any hope of getting feedback will be relegated to those who pore over any and all subjects.
I don't think anyone can single themselves out on this matter...there are thousands of posters on this forum....no one is forced to read the posts they don't like or want to be involved in....nor should anyone stop posting because someone else might be experiencing a bad day
Pillar of the Community
United States
1848 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've encouraged you to post all your coins before, but at the same time, I can see that the number of grading requests may push other requests down the list of recent posts. Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to post just a couple a day, rather than several a day (although that will take you longer to get through your 250).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, because my post caused this one let me clarify my thoughts. Do I think you've done something wrong, not totally. The forum is for more than just you. Yes this forum is for coin grading but when you post so many coins in a row you block out others looking for opinions as well. The folks on this forum are amazing and incredibly kind and helpful. I wouldn't trade my experiences here for anything. When you post a single coin for grading it can generate 0-100 responses. Every time someone responds it pushes your thread back to the top and everyone else's down a notch. Now multiple that by the 60+ posts you dropped and nobody else can get their posts seen. That's the clogging of the pipes. To be fair to everyone 1-3 at a time is fair, also, as others have said after a good number your skills should get better at grading your own coins. To be honest you do a pretty fair job of grading your coins but I do understand the desire to get confirmation.

But to dump so many at a time means that others won't get there seen because yours and the response to your coins will push others out.

You have every right to ask for others opinions but with that comes some responsibility to share the forum with others.

I hope that clears up my thoughts on this and I wish you nothing but the best. Happy collecting.
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This reply is both to Spence and to CoinCollector2012. I think neither of you quite understand why I am submitting my dollars here for you all to grade and comment on. It's not that I need a grade in order to decide if I want them professionally graded, or even to try to sell them raw. I'm retired and will probably die with the collection I already have and more that I will acquire.

All the grades you see on my holders I put on when I bought them over about a 4 year period beginning around the middle of 2016 to just recently, and I'm still bidding and buyingf. I'm posting them to get a second opinion on each, especially concerning past cleanings. I'm still not up to snuff on that or on the difference between a whole lot of bag marks and light circulation. I won't sell most of these anyway, only the really altered ones ..... the ones that were harshly cleaned or polished or whatever but I was too much of a novice at the time to know better.

CoinCollector2012, you said to only post by best, the ones I've spent the most on. But that must be how you see your collection. To me it doesn't matter if a silver dollar I own only grades F-15, as long as it's an original F-15, and I bought it at or less than that same year, mint mark and grade would sell for at eBay. And you mentioned common dollars being worth only melt. I bought almost all of these through eBay auctions, and I can tell you that nothing there sells at melt unless you might be bidding on a lot of 10 or more culls at a time.

At eBay, I've not only bought almost all of my dollars there, I've also sold some, and even a common 1884 or 1889 P will bring on average $25 to $30 in VF to XF condition. $25 sold price at eBay = eBay fee $2.82, PayPal fee $1.12, shipping charge $3.50, shipping cost $3.28, nets $21.24 and I'm having fun doing it all. Melt is about $13.75 today. That's how I judge my coins worth and whether I made a good buy or a bad one, and in my database if it shows I paid less than I could net if I resold it at eBay, then I'm as happy as someone that just bought themselves an AU 1889 CC for a couple of hundred bucks. So whenever I hear somebody calling a dollar melt, I suppose that's not how I see it, maybe what a dealer would offer, but that's not how I see my coins. Believe me, a dealer won't get their hands on these, at least not as long as I'm alive.

I do appreciate your comments though, but unless the consensus here is that they are tired of looking at my less than perfect dollars, I will continue to post them all, good or bad.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is to SRS77 ....... thanks for trying to clarify. I've never posted more than 5 in a day, most only a couple or 3, some days not at all. Perhaps it just feels that way because there haven't been as many posts lately by others, and some of you some days like IndianGoldEagle comment on 5 or 10 or more of my coins in a row, but that's not how I posted them. I'm enjoying myself and I hope you don't go away, I really don't want to ruin it for you, but it does seem that the consensus here is that posting like I do, 5 or less is OK. Hope we can be forum friends SRS77 ...........
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20398 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completely understand others frustration. Once topics are off the first page the odds of them getting replies drops at least 90%.

I would bet a substantial amount of money there are a lot of members who recently look at the forum page and just decided not to post.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2834 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been/try viewing this site for the past 5 years (didn't know jack about how to tell an au-50 coin from a 58) and have The "last 100 new topics" page bookmark as my opening page on my laptop. Now as I view yours and others post for grading I can make a very good/easy assessment to grade(s). I try to open and read all posts from banknotes,tokens,moderns...ect from all forums. That's how I learn(ed) and hopefully other newbies are learning from/in the same manner.
Keep posting, as you feel right
Pillar of the Community
United States
1542 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started following kaui guys grading post, but since most are common date/common coins only worth melt I just ignore the posts. It's not that I didn't learn anything it's that after 20 coins the grades are pretty easy to get. If the coins where VF and worth $100 and AU where worth $300, I would be more interested (but that's me), but the coins posted are worth $15-$17 in VF to AU, and if sold are worth melt. I just skipped the posts. Again that's me, if everyone else wants to grade the coins have fun.

I will state that I changed by viewing habits for this forum, instead of coming to the main page with the last topics, I now go the forums that I'm interested in and look through there. The main page has been filled with "is my road rashed penny worth millions or billions", "post your coins with gerbils and other rodents" and "please grade my silver dollar". Again a lot of poster like those threads as they are super popular but I like other topics. Again.. me. You like what you like.
Edited by hfjacinto
02/17/2020 4:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
15432 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
post your coins with gerbils and other rodents

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby you are correct. That was my response in the first place. I wss stepping away until this blast had run its course. Posting 5 a day is ok but not every day for two weeks. It chokes the forum and discourages other folks from partaking. I'm not sure he understands that or if it really matters to him but that's where we are.
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05