Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Do When The Next Completed Sets Are Too Out Of Your Budget?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,150Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1822 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  9:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well I've come to a dilema. I completed several collections and other than ASE which I'm missing a few coins (waiting till silver is available again) I don't have the budget to complete the sets Remaining or I don't like the coins. The only set left of the early American coins that I like are standing liberty and there are a few that are outside my budget so I won't complete and I'm not a fan of most modern coins. So I really don't have a set I can complete. So what does one do?
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Move to collecting medieval and/or ancient coins?

http://goccf.com/f/51
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1822 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence,

My LCS has a large selection, it's just not something I'm a fan of. I thought about the moderns but roosie and Jeff nickels and worse Washington quarters are just not what I want to collect (and ben and Ike and SBA are just ugly coins). I like classics but I have come to a point that I won't pass in my budget and that severally limits what I l'll collect
Edited by hfjacinto
03/30/2020 10:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Branch into varieties for the sets you've completed
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
1822 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Less interested in varieties than modern coins. Anything that I have to see using a magnifying glass to see. I'll pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a break for the moment and define "SET". Is it defined by the number of holes in your album? Or is it defined by the latest Red Book listing?
You ALONE should define the set you are seeking.

In my case I had Barber dimes, Quarters and Halves. The Dimes were in decent shape and the higher grades that I wanted were not TOO pricey. The 1901-S quarter killed the series for me. The Halves are darn difficult to find in anything approaching fine and WAY to costly.

So today I have a Barber Half Set in decent good condition. (No further ambition.) My dimes are ... well, coin dealers drool when they see it. Yep, including
an 1895-O in AU 58 condition And my quarters: a nice 1913-S in VG, an MS-63 1916-D and a handful of other nice examples.

I made my own decision as to what constitutes a set FOR ME! Every coin collector must do likewise.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been thinking about that, too. sort of.

i came to the conclusion that if I feel there's nothing left for me to collect (and I'm not really at that point yet), i'll just collect more of what I like. I had that thought about ASEs. I could start another album & fill it with low-ball or culls. or toners.

endless possibilities, maybe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1950 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a whole world of coins out there...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1822 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great ideas please keep posting !!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I remember your posting some Portuguese coins from ancestors?

Lots of attractive coins there. Some modern, some not. You can go back as far in history as you wish, often without spending a lot of money. Maybe start with an OFER (One From Every Reign). Or one of each denomination from each reign.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8297 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could try OFEC (one for each country) or OFEY (one for each year)?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8088 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you done a 7070 yet?
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33554 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to complete a set,start a "coin fund". Get yourself a jar and start putting extra money in it. Bottle return money,side jobs money, gift money like birthday money
have a yard sale etc. In awhile you will have enough to buy a needed coin or two.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13395 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel your pain because I'm in the same boat . Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place . But I'm sure we are not alone on those dar gone keys that are keeping us from completing our coin sets .
Especially now with a lot of uncertainty about finances because of Covid-19 that is effecting many of us . Just can't go out and buy a $500 coin or two to complete a set right now . You might want to try a short set of MS-63/65 FSB Mercury dimes . They are not that expensive and I always felt they are Sleepers in the Merc series . 1941-1945
P,D,S . But again they must exhibit FSB's less the 1945-P . You'll know why if you start that short set .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1822 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just can't go out and buy a $500 coin or two to complete a set right now .

T-Bop, you said it
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey hfjacinto!

First thing you need to do is slow down! The way you ripped through that Canadian Large Cent collection puts the rest of us to shame.

Seriously though, I would agree with a lot of the other posters here .... find a few shorts sets to work on. I'm currently working on a set of slabbed proof Roosevelt Silver Dimes (1950-1964). I know those aren't your thing though. One short set I've thought about doing at some point is Braided Hair Half Cents.

I hope you get "un-stuck" soon. I can't wait to see what your up to next.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,150Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05