Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Bicentennial Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 735Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  10:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CptSig to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i have this bicentennial dollar proof and it has I think carbon spots on it is there any hope of removing I dont think so but figured id ask

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carbon spots are just like bad neighbors, they are there for good and only get worst over time. Only way to get rid of them is to sell.....
Edited by Greasy Fingers
04/04/2020 11:50 am
Valued Member
Canada
389 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Carbon spots are just like bad neighbors, they are there for good and only get worst over time. Only way to get rid of them is to sell.....

That is the most poetic thing I have read this week easily,

Unfortunately I have to agree, carbon spots are nigh on impossible to get off without damaging the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33632 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not look like typical carbon spots to me. Looks like something is on the coin like after mint grease.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4425 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be the lighting, but the coin doesn't look like a proof to me - it appears to be a mint state coin.

I would first use acetone to see if the surface contaminants can be removed - a nice bath in acetone should loosen things if they are on the surface. The coin might also be a good candidate for a Jeweluster dip (after the acetone bath).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forget, were the proofs silver?
Lot of little dings for a proof, and not in any kind of protection? I'm tending to agree mintstate non proof...
Edited by jonnin
04/07/2020 11:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The proofs are 40% silver.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3566 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is definitely one of the MS silver Ikes. And I have similar stuff on one of mine. I was able to reduce the appearance by a long acetone bath. As John said, they arent "carbon spots" per se. No matter what, the coin is only worth silver value at this point.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16534 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I forget, were the proofs silver?

They came both ways Type 1 came as either copper nickel clad or 40% silver, type 2 are copper nickel clad only The MS type 1's S dollars only some as 40% silver. There are no MS type 2 S Bicentennial dollars. The OP coin is type 1 so it could be either one if it is a proof, 40% if MS, and I lean toward MS.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that is a clad proof.

A weight would tell you for sure.
Edited by Gincoin43
04/08/2020 1:18 pm
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CptSig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for your replys so if it was a proof it would of been taken out of the 1776-1976 sets right? and I have some of thos and the mirror finish isn't the same at all when comparing, now how long should I keep it in the acetone at this point its just melt value anyway right and it should be kept away from all other coins correct?
Edited by CptSig
04/08/2020 3:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if they sold just the dollar proof solo or not. I know there are full sets and 3 coin sets for the bicentennial.

I've had to soak a few really bad coins for days. I put them in a sealed glass jar for that so it does not all evaporate. Take it out once a day and give it a gentle fingernail or q-tip or other very gentle "does this junk wipe off yet" test. And it may never wipe off. Crud comes off, at various rates. Tarnish, not so much.

All coins that you care about should be kept not touching anything that can hurt them, meaning other coins. If its just worth face value or melt value, then whatever you want to do. Its still in good shape, even if not proof, so if that junk comes off, it may be worth putting in a cheap holder and stowing. Its not going to be a high value coin anytime soon, so if you collect for value, there is your answer.
Edited by jonnin
04/08/2020 6:36 pm
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CptSig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ill give that a try it still jas great luster to it besides them spots ya iam a collector not doing it for resale(maybe if I have a double) I just love coinage and special bills its just my thing
Learn More...
United States
86467 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know if they sold just the dollar proof solo or not.
For 1776-1976 they did not. Cu-Ni clad proofs were in the six coin annual proof set. The 40% silver clad (proof and uncirculated) were issued in the special three coin sets (with 40% quarter and half dollar).

1971 to 1974 40% silver clad Ikes were sold individually in blue packs (uncirculated) and brown boxes (proof).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16534 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was also a 3 coin unc 40% silver S mint set Quarter, half and dollar.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 735Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05