Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1931 P Lincoln Cent With Shadow, What Causes This?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 23 / Views: 491Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  01:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been collecting cents for a long while now and sell regularly on eBay. Through the years I always kept the strange looking ones. Most are probably PMD, many are Lamination. Now I have tubes of these laying around. I hope that someone can educate me on a few oddities.

Edited by SomeGoodCents
05/23/2020 01:50 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33554 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please be more specific. Indirect die transfer on the reverse?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It kinda looks like the word LIBERTY is doubled, but up and to the left at an angle.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3796 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a possible double strike die rotation. Pretty cool coin. Or possibly some severe Machine Doubling.
Edited by fenton
05/23/2020 09:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33554 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a TY under LIBERTY as well. We need Mike on this.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47857 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Calling Dr. coop!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3152 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  11:32 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
triple strike? But why not more on the reverse?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this coin was struck multiple times, there would be (1) multiple lettering in the motto and date, with the same degree of rotation, and (2) doubling on the reverse, with the same degree of rotation. Neither is apparent on this coin.

The date appears to be wrong for a 1931 on your coin. Your "3" appears to be too low relative to the line connecting the top of the first "1" and the top of the "9" and the shape of the opening of the "9" appears to be incorrect.

I suspect either a faked error, using a weak transfer die second strike, or an entirely counterfeited coin. A weak transfer die strike would explain the mushy, flattened reverse.

EDIT: @John K, you beat me to it, and posted while I was sipping coffee and working on my post. We definitely see the same problem with this critter!
Edited by fortcollins
05/23/2020 11:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4069 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think another possibility would be a very very late stage rotated die cap strike through. Definitely need mike to confirm anything though
Edited by Adam_E
05/23/2020 12:23 pm
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a returning member from several years ago. I can remember a member named Coop that used to give me great coin evaluations. I'm not sure if I posted this oddball back then but it really caught my eye when I plucked it out of a 5,000 ct. bag some time ago. I have 8-9 rolls (tubes) of odd looking cents I pulled from bags over the years, many Lamination examples. Most of these bags came from Provident Metals, they used to sell some outstanding bags of Wheat Cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This could be a counterfeit involving the use of a fake obverse die to generate the second and third strikes. If so, it would be very similar to the many 1964 and 1964-D cents with fake one-sided double and triple strikes. However, there are other possibilities. If the extra images show relief, this might be a one-sided rotational triple strike. Such an error would occur if the obverse die were to rotate between each strike while the coin remained firmly seated on the anvil die. A few such errors are known among domestic business strikes (and more among proofs). If the extra images are simply shadows, this could instead be an example of surface film transfer. Such errors occur when a die strikes a dirty planchet strike, with movement between strikes. The dirty design is transferred back to the die face and then transferred to the next planchet. Such errors can also occur if a dirty die strikes a coin twice, with movement of the coin between strikes. I know of two examples among domestic dimes. If you would be willing, I would like to examine this coin up close and possibly write it up for my Coin World column.
Error coin writer and researcher.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SomeGoodCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike it would be an honor to have you take a closer look, Sir. I'm sure you understand I'm a bit hesitant to let this out of my hands. How can we do this in a secure fashion?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to send you an e-mail through Coin Community but was informed that you haven't activated this capability.
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh he doesn't have 50 posts yet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to contact me directly, you can do so through error-ref.com. Please be aware that the coin's advanced state of wear may preclude a definitive diagnosis.
Edited by mikediamond
05/23/2020 3:10 pm
Page: of 2 Replies: 23 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05