Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Is Better In The Long-Term For A Collection?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 577Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
88 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  3:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Collectors!

When I buy coins, medals, etc., I typically will hold them for a long time. Occasionally, I will sell part of my collection to upgrade my coins, medals, etc. Or to make room for future purchases. The hope is that my purchases will not decline significantly in price in the long term.

Just curious what you think is the better buy in the long-term:

1) A generic one-ounce bar, medal, etc. of silver (about $22)

or

2) A common BU Morgan silver dollar (about $30 - $35)

Thank you in advance.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2402 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would pick govt issued bars or rounds over morgans. although fake bars/rounds are out there I would venture a guess that there are more fake morgans.

Over all though, brass and lead (with a touch of gunpowder) is probably the best commodity metal investment you could make (strange times these are)
Pillar of the Community
United States
779 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go with the Morgan or even Peace dollar. The reason being simple, even at 90% silver compared to a .999 bar/round, actual coins always sell above melt value. Even worn they carry a slight premium at or above bullion.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3539 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you want coins or silver bullion? At the price you are quoting, you are paying over twice melt for the Morgans. So do you want half the silver, and coins of numismatic value, or plain silver? Only you can decide.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question! both have good points.. The bullion pieces are a better buy
right now IMO, but silver will continue to be mined, really so as the spot price goes up.
The silver Dollars can not be minted again... But the premiums are way high right now. Also IMO...
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of variables. $3 an ounce on $19 silver price is a 15% markup. So you've got to over come that to even break even.

But on the Morgans, if you buy a $30-$35 Morgan from your LCS, and take it back to them to sell the next day, They might offer $20-$25. So hard to overcome that too. If you sell on Ebay you might get retail. But then have to factor out 13% to Ebay and Paypal

Silver skyrockets, obviously that's the better deal. If it tanks, Morgans/Peace will hold their value longer. It seems to take a while for a drop in silver price to work it's way into the coin market.

Personally I do a little bit of both. With more emphasis on the silver dollars.

But let me throw out another option I do. Low to mid grade common date 90% coins. My LCS sells at a couple ounces over spot. And usually buys at around spot. Usually in multiples of face amount. Right now maybe 14x to 15x face. But I rarely buy from him. I attend a lot of local coin auctions. Sometime I walk away with nothing. Other times I pick up bags of pre 65 quarters dimes, halfs. Quite often under current melt. Towards the end of a long auction you can pick up some real bargains. People are tired, many have left, most have spent more than their spouse is going to be happy about. Picked up a roll of 50 silver dimes for $40. When melt on them was $1.15. 30-40 silver quarters for $2.50 each when melt was well over $3.

I'm actually taking some of my Washington's and Rosies into two coin shops this afternoon. See which one wants them more.
Pillar of the Community
5290 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you a coin collector/hobbyist? Or investor? I wouldn't suggest using coins and long-term pricing in the same sentence. You should look for an investment forum. Unless you're a dealer, chances are you will lose at this game. It's a hobby, not an investment vehicle.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"
In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In Memory of Crazyb0 December 26, 1951 to July 27, 2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19401 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 577Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05