Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Cello Leave It On Or Remove It

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 594Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  3:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ericwats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have lots of coins in mint cello. I really don't care for it. Would a coin lose a lot of value if the cello was removed?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13814 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely not , and it's better to remove it for an easy storage solution . Just holder the coin in a cardboard 2x2 .Or plastic flips .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4787 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
88812 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ericwats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. I am going to have to have a cello removal party.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6425 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

For nicer coins I use Air-Tite capsules as well. But most stuff is in 2X2s. Make sure to use a set of pliers to crimp the staples flat once you staple the 2X2 closed. Otherwise if you stack the 2X2s, an uncrimped staple can break the plastic window on a holder below it and scratch the coin.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Albums and a flat clinch stapler are your friends.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1706 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of coins stored in mint cello are already damaged by it. These should be soaked in alcohol or acetone before reholdering. It's not a bad idea to soak even those that don't display problems.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some before and after pictures.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"
In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In Memory of Crazyb0 December 26, 1951 to July 27, 2020
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GotCoins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same question about coins in the cello wraps but wanted to ask also, how long should the coins be soaked in the alcohol or acetone? Also, can any coins be soaked in alcohol or acetone to help their appearance?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2928 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What T-BOP said....
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1706 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the same question about coins in the cello wraps but wanted to ask also, how long should the coins be soaked in the alcohol or acetone? Also, can any coins be soaked in alcohol or acetone to help their appearance?

Usually if a four day soak doesn't fix them then they're too far gone. For Gems I'll try it one or two more times in fresh solution.

Be sure to use only 91% isopropyl or acetone (mixing is good) and not water or 70%. Rinse and then very gently pat dry with plush towel.

Very few coins are improved with this method nless they have contamination on the surface. There are other methods for cleaning or restoring almost anything but be sure to ask before trying to clean a valuable coin because improper cleaning will destroy the value.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2020  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GotCoins2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, very informative and I greatly appreciate the answer!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17176 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2020  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to have a cello removal party, just celebrate it here, on line, with your CCF friends.
That way, you can still social distance, and CV-19 can't get at you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1719 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2020  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remove them from the cello and then note on the 2x2, "from US Mint set" so I know their lineage. Although, I have a lot of them on my desk waiting to be "removed", do as I say, not as I do.
www.dukescoins.ecrater.com
ANA #3159445
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a flat stapler.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05