Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S VDB Need Second Opinion.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,027Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50475 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say F-12, choice color and surfaces for the grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14018 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG-10 to F-12 . Looks Genuine . Congrats !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joej132 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, got it for a great deal. This will be in my collection for a very long time.
Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@joe, first welcome to CCF. Second, when you put that cent back into a 2x2, please be sure to flatten the staples. You wouldn't want to add a fresh scratch to an adjoining coin.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joej132 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. Will do that for all my coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2289 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say F-12, nice coin!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19582 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice coin and a great addition to your collection. Also as to which dies used. Remember your talking about something from well over 100 years ago and no one really knows what was used anywhere for anything that long ago.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16583 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine, F12
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1621 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be Fine grade at least. Congratulations.

(Light full wheat lines on the rev it looks like and some light separation at the bowtie.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also want to know an exact grade.

Sorry..."exact"..."ain't gonna happen!"

You will find people on this forum can give as expert an opinion as any paid service (likely more consistent here though). But note that even among our experts you will see different opinions proffered.

All grades given out (by even the "professional" grading companies) are NOT a verifiable fact. The company marketing divisions have done a good job in making an awful lot of people think the company gives an exact and actual grade.

You can break a coin out of its slab, re-submit it to the same grading company, and you are never guaranteed it will get the same grade again. Their own websites will tell you grading is not a science, but an art.

This also means people will keep gambling/submitting coins (paying the companies money) hoping for a high grade. Where just one grade point high er can mean huge profits, some coins are submitted many times over until the reach that level. Companies also charge more depending on how rare the coin is, so re-submissions bring in profits to the company.

The tech has been there since the 90s to make grading a science, and all major companies once used a scientific method. But computer grading stopped b/c back then people did not trust computers. Nowadays out tech makes the 90s tech obsolete, but while grading can remain subjective, there are likely more profits to be had. This might be the hindrance to making grading a science.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no doubts it genuine and I believe calling it a VG10 is a no brainer while F12 might be a stretch too far for 3-4 graders to come to consensus on and might not happen which would lead to disappointment.
VG10 seems like the most likely outcome of third party grading.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only need one of those.
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I only need one of those.
Same. One of two holes in my Dansco.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,027Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05