Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 P Jefferson Nickel Dropped Letter(S)?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,389Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  01:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Never really seen something like this before which isn't saying much. I thought maybe die clash but the letters dont seem to match up if you were to flip it. Plus they look like pieces of letters or numbers that are rotated and actually feed into the edge of the coin. It affects the U and S in TRUST on the obverse and there is another area I circled around the 6 o'clock of the obverse that is also raised. Everything you see as far the areas in question are raised. I even cleaned it with a little mild soapy water to see if it was maybe glue but its def the coin itself. Any ideas?
Well after actually going back and brushing up on dropped letters I know this isn't one because the area is raised and not in use. So I'm assuming weird clash.

Edited by Waynoah83
08/15/2020 02:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35528 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not dropped letters,PMD of some sort?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck through...? Nice Nic...I like it!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
1745 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not dropped letters,PMD of some sort?
John1

I agree with John
Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree damage because for each raised area, I see an adjacent and corresponding gouge.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the anomalies are raised above the coin's surface, they're not a struck-through.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46195 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can they be moved? If so it maybe a struck through debris issue?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the feedback but like Nick10 stated and which I included in the description, all these areas are raised. I know not having the coin in hand makes it hard to tell the difference between incused areas and raised because it happens to me all the time. I'm no Mike Diamond but I assure you all the areas I circled in green in the edited photo from above are all raised. The part of the S that is affected is actually raised a bit higher than the S itself. It's not glue. I even tried to pry at an area with a toothpick to see if it was some other foreign object or metal shaving and it is part of the coin. The areas in question were caused by some sort of die event, I'm leaning more towards an unusual clash. Not claiming to be an expert but isn't it possible a working die broke and a piece or pieces broke loose and got stuck between the planchet and the opposite die causing basically a clash and wasnt noticed right away. Or maybe when changing out one die it hit the other die and caused a clash that isn't the usual negative copy but some sort of Frankenstein clash? Maybe it's the first legitimate RPM in decades and it's one of a kind and now I own it? (Calm down everyone. That last part was a joke. I know that there really is no such thing as an RPM) cause you can call it peredoilla or whatever it is, but those look like devices, specifically I was thinking the CA from the reverse. I'm gonna go with Funky Frankenstein Clash or FFC for the novices, or some dude at the mint still had mayonnaise on his hands from his sub at lunch and dropped a die on the ground. Prove me wrong....here is said picture I mentioned in chapter one of this reply
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry coop. I was dictating while you responded but I answered your question in one of the chapters of my reply. They are just as much a part of the coin as the devices that should be on the coin. I'm gonna see if I can get some diff angles and maybe that will help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46195 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They maybe raised, but my question is can they be moved? I see two colors on that area on those devices, like something peeled off the tops of those devices. (lower loop on the 'U' and 'S' of Trust)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I tried a couple different lighting changes.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
damage
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of damage?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46195 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can't be a dropped letter issue as they are incuse. (The area would be pushed in, in the shape of what was struck) If it is raised on the coin, then that would be die damage. I can't tell for sure if the metal was moved to a new location after the strike from coin contact or not? Some areas look curved like it was hit by something making it incuse. The area near the rim looks like it is raised, but doesn't resemble the design of the die. So I'm not sure from what I see that I can identify the issue.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
1745 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What kind of damage?

Who knows how it was damaged, We are not experts on how coins are damaged. If it was done during the minting process someone here would explain it but how damage occurr's after the strike is pure speculation.

Quote:
Prove me wrong.

That's not how it works.The burden of proof is on you since your the one making the claim of an error
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay. I'm gonna give a rundown of what I've done to the coin. Initially I used a little warm soapy water and cleaned it up and nothing changed or fell off. The water did not reconstitute a dried up booger that fell off to reveal a normal nickel. It looks identical to when I originally found it. After looking at the coin under between 25 and 50+ times magnification for the better part of an hour, putting it aside and coming back to it an hour or two later, using a toothpick to try to pry or move a little raised piece without damaging it, I came to the conclusion it was caused by an event with the die. Being raised and pretty much the same height as far as I can tell as the other devices on the obverse, and actually a little higher on that part of the S you were questioning coop, I figured it was a legit abnormality caused during the minting process. Since I posted it I have tried to move every raised abnormal area, poked the smaller ones and right by the rim with an exact knife and even rubbed a little acetone on the smallest raised part just in case my initial conclusion that it easnt glue was wrong and it's still exactly hi ow I initially described it. My pictures arent the best but the the area above the U looks like part of an F or T. The other area that is curved is almost perfectly so like a C or an O, and like I said to start with, they are all raised. I know this usually when the die gouges answer comes out
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,389Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05