Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poll Question On The Elusive 1909-S VDB

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,476Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14156 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  08:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
A lot of members have one and a lot do not . With the following poll lets see why that is :
Also post brief discussions on the S-VDB Lincoln Cent . Thank you for your cooperation .

Poll Choices
  Never owned one , could never justify the cost .
  Afraid of purchasing a fake.
  Not a Lincoln Cent collector.
  Spouce would never agree to purchase one.
  I'll wait to I find one CRH'ing .

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14156 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well in my case I never owned one because I was never able to justify the cost . And I would rather not have one at all in my set than to have an inferior example just to fil a hole . My 1909 to 1940 PDS set is my baby with nothing less than straight no problem VF-25's and better . Some day my ship will come in with an affordable S-VDB .
Problem is , Time Waits For No one and it won't wait for me !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one so none of the survey answers applied. While the 1909 S VBD was above my $500 limit on a coin, I was able to sell a few prints and get it. I didn't get a slabbed one but I did buy one from a dealer I trust. Its nice to have a full album (the 1922 no d is a 1922 faint d)

This is the LWC first folder I ever started. This one is missing the 1909 S VDB. This one I will get a slabbed one.

Edited by hfjacinto
09/01/2020 09:20 am
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP- I addition to the 22 no D, you and I are pretty much singing the same song. Out of the 5 choices....."Never owned one , could never justify the cost"

My 1909-1940 set is pretty much VF or better as well.

Afraid of purchasing a fake: I would only buy one straight graded slabbed, F-VF as well. The only difference: I would break it out and fill the hole!

Not a Lincoln Cent collector: I am

Spouse would never agree to purchase one: Not an issue

I'll wait to I find one CRH'ing: That will never happen!

Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set hfjacinto!! Funny how the mint luster on these things (most sets) seems to stop and start at 1930!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice set hfjacinto!!

Thank you

Quote:
Funny how the mint luster on these things (most sets) seems to stop and start at 1930!!

Yep, cost just seems to jump at older than 1930.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9037 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had one and it was a lackluster VG-8 if I recall. It sold for way over expectations at an auction and I netted just under $900. I remember it was the highest bid of the day and a few friends and I were front row, gleefully applauding the bidder who won, as well as the rest in attendance. It had an old ANACS photograde certificate before they slabbed coins. I voted Not a Lincoln Cent collector. Don't miss it. Although I do have a handful of very nice Lincolns yet.
I still cut the lawn with a Toro I bought with the money from the auction.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
09/01/2020 10:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1746 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have one, sadly, largely a matter of cost. My interests include a wide array of coins, not just Lincoln cents--so my collecting $$ are spread rather thin. If I specialized in cents only, I'd probably have one. Maybe if I had 200 spare W quarters, I'd trade them for a legit F15 1909 S VDB.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7519 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a -09 S VDB. I sold it a few months ago so I could reallocate funds to other coins.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5534 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've owned several of them over the years but have not owned one since moving back to Texas about 30 years ago. I kinda lost interest in Lincoln cents.
Learn More...
United States
90863 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the poll answers apply to me.

I need one, I want one, I have just not found an acceptable one at a price I can afford. I am still looking.
Learn More...
United States
17343 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got one that I bought slabbed some time ago. For me, this was a coin not to purchase raw.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16613 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was lucky, my grandfather gave me one and I had it slabbed.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GrapeCollects- Does Julian have any?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11035 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have a Lincoln collection, but it's not anywhere near the point of considering purchasing an 09-S VDB. There are many others that would need to be had or upgraded first. I will get one eventually!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14156 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I was lucky, my grandfather gave me one and I had it slabbed

Lucky indeed . That's exactly the grade I want .
Edited by T-BOP
09/01/2020 7:30 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,476Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05