Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Lincoln Head And Mercury Dime Collection Books

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 737Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kirks_Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I just found a 1909-1945 Lincoln Head Collection Book about 85% full, and a 1916-1945 Mercury Head Dime Collection Book about 15% full...but they were not stored properly

I have read all over not to clean coins, but if I wanted to grade and sell a coin from the book, the cutouts were adhesive backed and the adhesive is stuck to the back of the coins...

Any advice? I could be wrong, but I cant imagine the crusty old adhesive would contribute to value...but then cleaning it off may damage or devalue the coin...so torn...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone (pure, not nail polish) will not adversely affect the coins and will probably help break down the adhesive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1108 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a good soak in acetone should work. If not, then xylene would be the next step.

Which coin were you looking at having grading? I would recommend posting here before sending off anything.

And
Edited by Ty2020b
09/23/2020 4:19 pm
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kirks_Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the advice. I literally JUST found them, like less than 20 min ago...im a totally noob, so I need time to research and youtube all the videos...here are some pics of the coins in the books...anything I should key into?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1108 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would pop the 1914D LWC out and post on here. Can't make out the year and date, if it is a 14D.

And be careful with YouTube. Some good information, ALOT of bad. I recommend using the search here in the forum for some answers..... or just post!
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, check the 14-D to make sure that's what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3519 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are both what I would classify as basic circulated collections. The Lincoln collection in that grade is very common with one exception - if it's in the correct slot, the 1914-D is considered a key date. They are rare because few were made, so that one coin could be worth $100+ depending on exact condition. That is more than the rest of the Lincoln book combined.

The Mercury dimes are all circulated and common dates, but because they are 90% silver, they are worth $1.50 in silver content each.

So, overall, a nice find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow a 1914 D!
Do not get anxious and rub the coins. Let the soaking do the job.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14166 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice circulated collections . Those folders in a bad environment can really mess up coins . The Lincoln's with the adhesive can be soaked in Acetone . Only your 14-D and maybe the 24-D Lincoln have any decent value . post the two of them here both sides and enlarged . The Mercury dimes are common dates and mints , you can also use acetone on them but don't expect great results against all the black spots . If you happen to have a conservative solution called Verdi-Care go ahead and use it on only the Wheaties , and lastly take all coins out of those folders and put them in 2x2 cardboard holders .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
90990 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do not get anxious and rub the coins. Let the soaking do the job.
Agreed.

Feel free to soak in several rounds with fresh acetone (to keep dissolved crud from redepositing back on the coins). A finale flowing rinse with fresh acetone is preferred to rinsing with water since the acetone will air dry much faster.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kirks_Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, gonna make an acetone run later this afternoon!
Here is a picture of the 1914 D...1924 is in really bad condition, and its hard to even make out the 24, much less the mint mark...ill check again and update after a few soaks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3635 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 14-d has value but is not worth sending in for grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent find and you are smart to come here and ask what to do. "Cleaing" that does damage to coins is defined as the removal of any of the original surgace. Even wiping with a facial tissue can leave scratches and therefore is called cleaning.

Conserving is the removal of surface dirt without removing any of the coin's surface. This is what acetone and Xylene do.

BTW - you CAN get acetone in the health and beauty section at Walmart for around 1.75. It is sold as fingernail polish remover. I also have gotten it at the Dollar Store before. As long as it says pure acetone - no perfumes or coloring added, you are OK.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51196 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The '14-D looks severely cleaned, unfortunately. Looking forward to pics of some of the other better dates.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice finds, and

Show us after soak photos please, when done.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19667 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As already noted use Acetone. Now here is some good advice. Use the Search tab on this forum for coin cleaning, cleaning coins, Acetone, etc. Get a can of Acetone at Walmart in the paint section. About $4 or more for a Quart. Best to have an entire quart since you do not want to reuse any for a second time. Remember to discard any Acetone once used. Dip all of those coins in the Acetone. Get rid of all those old Whitman folders and don't use them again. If your going to start a coin collection, go to a hobby store or an on line coin dealer and purchase Albums, not folders.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 737Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05