Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

HI Everyone 1968 Penny 7/8

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 770Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  05:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tadoots to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Learn More...
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tad, your pic is a little blurry but we see this sort of thing quite often. The 8 in the date has taken a hit and some of the metal has been "smushed" into an angled line. This pattern of damage seems to have occurred frequently with those old fashioned bubble gum machines.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tadoots to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is in good shape there is no wear and tear on it. It looks like a seven to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2485 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like damage to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2473 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  06:37 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

it's just damage possibly caused by a vending or gum machine. This coin would also reversed for the overdate process. If it were an overdate, the 7 would be behind the 8, not on the top as this coin shows. PMD sheared metal from the 8 has been displaced over the device.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
4455 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most definitely vending machine damage. And, to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51322 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, just coincidental damage.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1801 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the risk of piling on, yes, it's damage. As noted above, we see this more often than not. Old/vintage coin vending machines were quite rough on coins--especially if the mechanism was in need of adjustment/calibration.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46724 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vending machine damage.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin is in good shape there is no wear and tear on it. It looks like a seven to me.

Yes, we all agree it resembles a seven - otherwise you would not have noticed it either. But experience and the combined expertise behind the members of this forum is giving you factual information that this is post mint damage. Those of us with an interest in coins have handled thousands of coins including enough to notice what we easily recognize as legitimate errors or damaged coins.

Coins like yours have shown up here on this forum before, and will continue to.

Look at the left part of the 8 - its deformation on its left obviously shows it took a hit and caused the metal to move over.

Your other option is to waste a bunch of money sending it to a professional grading service who will charge you to tell you the same thing. We have people here that are every bit as skilled and knowledgeable as the people these companies employ.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36086 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Your coin is PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46724 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the difference? The top is raised, but the lower part near the base is not showing the foundation to look like that. So just the upper area is altered. PSD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
3769 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all of the above comments. Gumball machine PMD.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46724 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 770Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05