Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help! 1958 Memorial Cent (Not Wheat)!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,089Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  3:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add austxmax to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Help! I need some help with this 'oddball' 1958 Lincoln 'Memorial' cent. That's right, Memorial cent (not wheat).it has a memorial reverse (not wheat). I found this is some of my father's stuff after he passed away. Have had it for years, but just recently went through some of his coins trying to see what things might have some value. I can find nothing about this coin on the internet. Yes, if you search for 1958 Memorial cent, you'll get lots of hits.but they are all for wheat cents actually (guess some folks don't really realize what a Memorial cent it.lol). I'm hoping someone out there may have heard of this coin before, or may be able to direct me to some resource where I can find out something about it. Thank you!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52191 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us much larger pics, please, along with a close-up of the edge.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, better images needed--large, sharp, high resolution (obverse and reverse). As noted, one or two close-ups of the coin's edge would help.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austxmax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I think these are about the highest res images I can get. I have 2 scanners, but neither would give me a good/useable image, so I'm using a digital SLR. Hope these are better. At any rate, I appreciate the/any help. Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight? That doesn't have the look of a genuine coin.
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@aus, first welcome to CCF. Second, that would be quite a find if real. I agree that knowing the weight would help.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1449 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a sharper up close shot of the date. The 8 looks off IMO.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52191 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree - the 8 is noticeably too small in these images. This has to be a fake.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/18/2020 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a quick look and I see some font errors on yours. Look at corresponding arrows. My guess initially is this is a fantasy coin. The details also are mushy like in a copy.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austxmax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I think you guys nailed it. I can see that 8 does look a little strange when comparing it to another with my cheap magnifying glass. And....it only weighs 2.8 grams when all the rest of the wheat and memorial cents I weighed are 3.1 grams. So yeah...must not be real. Bummer...thought I had a mega coin here! lol Still going to leave it in my penny album though (since there are blank spots) and let somebody else freak out over it after I'm gone! And it looks very cool! LOL Thanks very much guys! Your response was speedy and informative. Should of thought about weighing it myself I guess....Duh Why would someone make/fake a coin like this I wonder? Thanks again everyone!
Edited by austxmax
10/18/2020 9:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5636 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why would someone make/fake a coin like this I wonder?

Someone probably made this in a machine shop. With idle time and the right tools a mule coin can be created.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10717 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
austxmax.

I hope you'll share some more of your father's cool stuff with us, and I'm very sorry for your loss.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austxmax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much! :)
Learn More...
United States
92389 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16693 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with others, it's a fake. Most likely a 1959 converted into a 58.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19862 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Of course it could be a coin made in 1959 with the wrong back.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,089Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05