Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A 1939 Nickel In An Old Car Seat Yesterday

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 836Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI kids, I've only posted here a few times as I am not a "collector", as such, though I do hang on to any neat coins I come across.

Yesterday I was working at a local auto upholstery shop and while stripping the old vinyl off of a set of 1960s-vintage seats, a nickel fell onto the floor. Not at all unusual. I picked it up, it looked slightly rusty, but I thought the date was 1959. So I pocketed it.

This morning, I used a little toothpaste and my fingers to try and clean it up a bit, knowing real abrasives are frowned on.

Wellp... turns out it is really a 1939 nickel. Soooo I just took a peek online and it seems there are some 1939 nickels without mint marks. I don't see any on the front OR back, THOUGH I may still be looking in the wrong place. OR it has worn off. Where would it be?

I am sharing scans of both sides for folks to see.

Even though it lived in a car seat for decades, it was already around 25-30 years old (minimum) when it got stuck in the seat. So it had time to acquire wear.

I am curious as to what folks think about this little "find". Should I just put it into my little container if nifty coins? Or should I put in an order on a new car?

Edited by Nells250
10/23/2020 5:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52237 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story but just a spender, I'm afraid, especially with the scratches on the front.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured that... no new car! Do you know where the mint mark should be?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This reminds me, I was thinking a good spot to go coin hunting may be the junkyard under seats/etc in old cars.... this kind of renewed my interest in doing that someday...
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad idea SStash, BUT look out... if you've never been inside a junk car, you could A) hurt yourself B) get stung by a nasty flying insect C) get stuck

;-)

This nickle had been jammed between a spring and the burlap layer. BUT you may luck out if you live in a state with fewer rusty cars than we do... that means older cars still lingering in those yards!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Walela to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I inherited a '64 Ford from my Dad. I'm the second owner. Now, I can't wait to get it here,so I can take out the seats to look for coins. My luck, my brothers beat me to it years ago.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HAHHAHAHA! I needed that laugh! :-)

My 1974 Javelin didn't have anything interesting in the center console :-(
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No mint mark = P (Philadelphia), which is standard for US coins. Aside from a brief period during WWII ( War Nickels) they didn't put the "P" mintmark on Philadelphia nickels until 1980. Dimes and quarters also started putting the "P" on Philly-minted coins in 1980, but Lincoln cents still don't have a mint mark on Philly-minted coins even today.
Pillar of the Community
United States
733 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint mark would be on the right side of Monticello
Learn More...
United States
17733 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am curious as to what folks think about this little "find".

Not worth much if anything over face value, but I still save nickels this old when I find them. Save or spend, it is your choice.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
92481 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austxmax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of the time I received a 1939D nickle in change from a coke machine when I was a kid in the 60s! I collected pennies, nickles and dimes back then (anything bigger was to rich for me then). Man, I thought I'd hit the jackpot. And I still have that nickle. lol. Good hunting everyone.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chipjones - THANKS! Now I know, just in case ;-)

I'll just put it in with the rest of my "more interesting than usual" coins. I come from the world of stamps, so coins just go WAY over my head... then again, I have never jumped into the gazillion varieties of pre-1900 stamp issues, either!
Pillar of the Community
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always liked finding 1939 nickels, they're the oldest nickel you have a reasonable shot at still finding in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4085 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My 1974 Javelin didn't have anything interesting in the center console :-(
Was worth a shot! Gonna check under front/back seats of my '71 Amx this winter when I pull 'em.

When I was a kid back in the 70s, I'd check the chair and sofa frames below the cushions of my grandparents furniture, which was from the 1950's.
Found a few silvers.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oooh, 1971 AMX? Pre-smog?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 836Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05