Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A 1939 Nickel In An Old Car Seat Yesterday

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,420Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI kids, I've only posted here a few times as I am not a "collector", as such, though I do hang on to any neat coins I come across.

Yesterday I was working at a local auto upholstery shop and while stripping the old vinyl off of a set of 1960s-vintage seats, a nickel fell onto the floor. Not at all unusual. I picked it up, it looked slightly rusty, but I thought the date was 1959. So I pocketed it.

This morning, I used a little toothpaste and my fingers to try and clean it up a bit, knowing real abrasives are frowned on.

Wellp... turns out it is really a 1939 nickel. Soooo I just took a peek online and it seems there are some 1939 nickels without mint marks. I don't see any on the front OR back, THOUGH I may still be looking in the wrong place. OR it has worn off. Where would it be?

I am sharing scans of both sides for folks to see.

Even though it lived in a car seat for decades, it was already around 25-30 years old (minimum) when it got stuck in the seat. So it had time to acquire wear.

I am curious as to what folks think about this little "find". Should I just put it into my little container if nifty coins? Or should I put in an order on a new car?

Edited by Nells250
10/23/2020 5:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59277 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story but just a spender, I'm afraid, especially with the scratches on the front.
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured that... no new car! Do you know where the mint mark should be?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This reminds me, I was thinking a good spot to go coin hunting may be the junkyard under seats/etc in old cars.... this kind of renewed my interest in doing that someday...
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad idea SStash, BUT look out... if you've never been inside a junk car, you could A) hurt yourself B) get stung by a nasty flying insect C) get stuck

;-)

This nickle had been jammed between a spring and the burlap layer. BUT you may luck out if you live in a state with fewer rusty cars than we do... that means older cars still lingering in those yards!
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Walela to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I inherited a '64 Ford from my Dad. I'm the second owner. Now, I can't wait to get it here,so I can take out the seats to look for coins. My luck, my brothers beat me to it years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HAHHAHAHA! I needed that laugh! :-)

My 1974 Javelin didn't have anything interesting in the center console :-(
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No mint mark = P (Philadelphia), which is standard for US coins. Aside from a brief period during WWII ( War Nickels) they didn't put the "P" mintmark on Philadelphia nickels until 1980. Dimes and quarters also started putting the "P" on Philly-minted coins in 1980, but Lincoln cents still don't have a mint mark on Philly-minted coins even today.
Pillar of the Community
United States
752 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint mark would be on the right side of Monticello
Learn More...
United States
20013 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am curious as to what folks think about this little "find".

Not worth much if anything over face value, but I still save nickels this old when I find them. Save or spend, it is your choice.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austxmax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of the time I received a 1939D nickle in change from a coke machine when I was a kid in the 60s! I collected pennies, nickles and dimes back then (anything bigger was to rich for me then). Man, I thought I'd hit the jackpot. And I still have that nickle. lol. Good hunting everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chipjones - THANKS! Now I know, just in case ;-)

I'll just put it in with the rest of my "more interesting than usual" coins. I come from the world of stamps, so coins just go WAY over my head... then again, I have never jumped into the gazillion varieties of pre-1900 stamp issues, either!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always liked finding 1939 nickels, they're the oldest nickel you have a reasonable shot at still finding in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4168 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My 1974 Javelin didn't have anything interesting in the center console :-(
Was worth a shot! Gonna check under front/back seats of my '71 Amx this winter when I pull 'em.

When I was a kid back in the 70s, I'd check the chair and sofa frames below the cushions of my grandparents furniture, which was from the 1950's.
Found a few silvers.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oooh, 1971 AMX? Pre-smog?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05