Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For Those Who Use Three-Ring Binders

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 486Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
815 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For the last five years I have been using separate albums (Gardmaster brand) for my denominations of Canadian coins. Each album contains anywhere from two to five pages. I have about 12 albums - so around 36 pages. There are slide-in sleeves for each row so the coins don't fall out and then sheets behind each page with the year and variety. I have customized the sheets on my computer so I can use my own years and varieties.

There is only one aspect I don't like. The pages don't lie flat on their own. You almost have to hold the book in hand and turn pages and hold the page open. If you force the album cover flat, sometimes the snaps on the spine pop open. So I like the system but not the album covers. I am going to change things by discarding the album covers and using binders. (Might use the old albums for duplicates). The pages are 8 x 9.5 inches so a standard binder works and the pages' three holes line up perfectly. So my question is about binders, which I know many of you use.

(1) Am I better to use one three-inch binder or three one-inch binders? I am thinking weight might be a factor with the huge one.
(2) What is the best system of ring shapes?
(3) Do I need a slip cover? Coins cannot fall out of sleeves so maybe not.
(4) I don't want to use cheap one dollar binders and would like something of quality and a nice look. Would the best be the top of the line binder from a stationery store or would I find nicer at a photo supply shop? I guess I am trying balance look with function but if I cannot get both I will go with function (quality of binder versus appearance).
(5) Would binders be better stored flat as opposed to upright? Seems like quite a bit of weight happening.

Any other advice on issues I have not considered would be appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9141 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say that I always store mine with the binding side up. I always felt that laying them flat on the side puts undo weight on those poor guys in the back pages. Standing on edge like on a bookshelf always seemed to make the pages wilt with weight away from the rings.
I don't know what binders are best but PVC free pages are important and I do like to use those 2 inch wide three hole spacers in front and back.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
10/28/2020 11:59 am
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) I think three one-inch would be better for weight. For example, I do like having my Kennedy half dollars in multiple Dansco albums. That set would be very heavy in just one.

2) I would guess D.

3) It depends on where you store them. If the existing Gardmaster albums do not have them I see no reason to start now unless you want the extra protection.

4) Pay for quality and make sure the material is safe. Out-gassing can be a problem.

5) I keep mine upright, but it depends on how well the pages hold up. If your Gardmaster albums are fine upright, I would hope they will still be fine in the three-ring. I guess as long as there is not too much "play" in the rings for the pages to sag (another good reason to have more albums with fewer pages).
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will say that I always store mine with the binding side up.
Never, ever thought of that. Interesting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6667 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I will say that I always store mine with the binding side up.

Never, ever thought of that. Interesting!

Ditto - a good thought.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19860 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use all brands of Albums and even some 3 ringed binders for coins. I kind of like the D shaped ringed ones in a 3" wide binder for many of my coins. Sort of heavy but I don't run around with them so no big thing.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5454 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have used all sizes and yes 3" can get heavy. In a 1' binder you can get 5 or 6 page, with 2x2 and a 20 slot page thats over a 100 coins so you can figure out if you need a 1" or 2" binder.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1605 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a standard way of storing coins in binders, because I bring boxes of binders to coin shows (or at least I did, back when we had those pre-COVID). The uniformity makes it easier to move them around. These tips are overkill for home storage, but help if the binders will be moved regularly. For standard home storage, the only strong recommendation that I would make is the plastic sheet lifters that are described below.

Others have already pointed out the need for archival quality sheets. This is a must.
I use 2" binders because of the durability, uniform size, weight, and for protection of the coins.
I use Boomerang-style sheet lifters on top and bottom of the sheets in each binder help keep the sheets steady and prevent the binder rings from damaging the coins. I also use angled sheet lifters between every fourth page in each binder, alternating between the wide side down and the wide side up.
They are stored flat in boxes, alternating between spine left and spine right, six binders to a box. This keeps them from moving around.
I place cheap hard plastic kitchen cutting boards beneath the bottom binder, between the third and fourth binder, and on top of the top binder. These provide extra protection for the coins. I get these at Walmart, but they can be found just about everywhere.
Duct tape is a must to strengthen the storage boxes, especially if they are moved regularly. As an aside, all of my boxes are labeled "Books" or "Magazines" for security. Yes, it's cheesy, but it avoids people looking too closely when I cart them in and out of shows on a two-wheeler.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6667 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent tips Fort...thanks!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
815 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get that PVC-Free pages are important but I have noticed that some binders are PVC-Free and some not. Is that important as the coins would not touch the binder anyways. Or is there some kind of outgassing going on? That is something I had not thought of before.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17612 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use old trade sample catalog binders with four rings. Up to 17 pages per binder.

I never store the binders in vertical position; the risk of the page holes tearing open is too great.
Pages have 20 pockets per page. When 20 crown sized silver coins are stored in a page, the total weight of the coins is more than 1/2 kilogram.
That's a lot of weight for the rings and ring holes in the pages to support.
That is why I use four ring binders, and why I store the binders flat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great recommendations, all! I've been wondering about some of these things myself as I'm switching from 2x2 boxes to pages for most of my sets.

Quote:
I use Boomerang-style sheet lifters on top and bottom of the sheets in each binder help keep the sheets steady and prevent the binder rings from damaging the coins. I also use angled sheet lifters between every fourth page in each binder, alternating between the wide side down and the wide side up

This did not cross my mind. Thanks for the tip! Out of curiosity, is it necessary to have lifters between each page? That would add a lot of expense.

Quote:
I get that PVC-Free pages are important but I have noticed that some binders are PVC-Free and some not. Is that important as the coins would not touch the binder anyways. Or is there some kind of outgassing going on? That is something I had not thought of before.

I think there is some danger from outgassing, although I'll let others chime in on this. I've found that most Avery binders are advertised as PVC-free.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05