Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For A New Set To Complete. Franklin Halves.is That Set Challenging?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 905Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4219 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:31 am Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I confess that I have done zero research before posting this question. How difficult and expensive is the Franklin half dollar set to complete? I'd do circulated examples decent quality specimens. Won't go crazy buying AUs.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3273 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with circulated example, extremely doable.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9284 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is relatively easy if you are making a set of circulated halves. Just the cost of silver for most with a small premium on the several key or semi keys.
An uncirculated set can run you around $1000.00. "Full Bell Lines" is another matter.
All dates are available. Proofs are affordable for most except the 1950 1951 and 1952.
I have an unc set, and would never part with it but only the highest MS coins seem to really increase in value long term. I suppose that could change but there were a lot of BU rolls tucked away.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4219 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to look up what "Full bell lines" means.

Ooh. Found this from a past thread:

https://franklinhalfdollar.org/full...alf-dollars/
Edited by chafemasterj
11/26/2020 11:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2115 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of nice circulated Franklin's out there. Take your time and choose the best available for the date as you go along. You'll surprised how many BU examples you'll be able to pickup for just a bit more than circulated as you get into the late 50's and 60's.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4219 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone and thank you nfine will do.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53560 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like most series, everything depends on the grade level you're trying to achieve.
Learn More...
United States
18266 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No stoppers in circulated condition though, right?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will depend on where you look to obtain your coins. Roll searching to complete a full set might take a couple decades. Wise ebay and coin shop purchases may do the trick much sooner.
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completed my circ set for a little over melt value. Upgraded
when I found better examples. Probably 60-70% BU now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
885 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How difficult and expensive is the Franklin half dollar set to complete? I'd do circulated examples decent quality specimens.

This is exactly how I completed my set. Just a consistent (straight grade, not cleaned or damage) looking set. The best ones I could find for a few dollars over melt.

A BU with major luster, next to an avg. circulated Franklin in my Whitman album (IMO) is an inconsistent look. I actually avoided buying BU's when appropriate.

I was in no rush. Basically looking during my everyday travels. Had the list of dates I needed in my wallet at all times. I'd stop it coin shops and even pawn shops looking through their scrap silver. Plus eBay.

Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is one of the first sets I started working on two years ago because it was compatible with my initial desire to stack silver. In less than a year I got all but three of the business strikes from silver that I bought at bullion prices. And I just picked up one of those three missing ones at melt price. The remaining two can be had for around $20 bucks in lower MS grades. I looked at that circulated Franklin collection At the time as a no cost or risk beyond just buying 90% silver. I probably had 75% of them out of the first few rolls.

Like previous posters, I now have the nagging desire to upgrade, but I am doing that slowly as I don't feel skilled enough grading MS Franklins and making the strict FBL determination.

I have also gotten caught on a slippery slope—I started acquiring the proofs, beginning with the cheaper issues of the sixties. I have worked my way back through 1954. The pricing is beginning to hurt now! But, I cannot stop!
Edited by Numiscrat
11/26/2020 7:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2904 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I find the Ben Franklin 50 cents the ugliest coin the US has ever produced even uglier than bald Ike on the $1 dollar. But if you want to complete a circulated set just look in the junk silver. My LCS has probably each ugly Ben for a little over melt. I was there a few days ago, another collector was going through the Ugly Ben junk silver and we started talking and he was only missing about 5 coins and he had found 3 of the missing 5 while I was there. He commented that he completed his set just from the junk silver. So if you want to do a circulated set no proofs you should be able to do it just from the junk silver. But the question why? It's such an ugly coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3941 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally I find the Ben Franklin 50 cents the ugliest coin the US has ever produced even uglier than bald Ike on the $1 dollar.

Now now...

I admit that it ranks quite a few steps lower in attractiveness than one of the the Lady Liberties, but I am a great fan of Benjamin and wish the series had continued longer.

I have a complete set, xf-low ms, and it was easy enough to assemble even in Canada, although some of the dates take a bit longer to find unless you go to a larger coin show.
Pillar of the Community
United States
885 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally I find the Ben Franklin 50 cents the ugliest coin the US has ever produced even uglier than bald Ike on the $1 dollar. But if you want to complete a circulated set just look in the junk silver. My LCS has probably each ugly Ben for a little over melt. I was there a few days ago, another collector was going through the Ugly Ben junk silver and we started talking and he was only missing about 5 coins and he had found 3 of the missing 5 while I was there. He commented that he completed his set just from the junk silver. So if you want to do a circulated set no proofs you should be able to do it just from the junk silver. But the question why? It's such an ugly coin.

With the exception of the ugly coin thing, this was pretty much exactly how I completed my set.

One of the reasons I like the coin is because it was actually designed and created by a real Mint Chief Engraver.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why the expression of hate on the Franklins? I know that there are people on here who collect coins that I might find far less attractive than the Franklins. I won't name coins, but there are a couple of coins in my type set that are many times more expensive, but much less attractive, in my eyes than the best Franklins I have. I agree with oriole that some US series are prettier, but I am not going to use that as a reason to insult and demean what someone else chooses to collect.

Franklins are a great series of coins for some of us. We have a chance, for a reasonable budget, of obtaining all business strikes in BU condition, and even proofs and varieties on top of that. I couldn't dream of pulling that off with Morgans or Barber anything. If I had the budget, I would be working on a set of MS, full head SLQ's, but I am not ever going to be that wealthy...

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 905Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05