Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921-S Buffalo Nickel.....you Vs. PCGS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 580Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1753 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  08:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tricky one to photograph, couldn't find a balance of bringing in the residual luster while keeping the color accurate.

Have had my eye out for awhile for an example with an above average strike and die state. The color was plus for me, with the reverse being less distracting in hand. Small lam on the obv. above the braid. Straight grade PCGS.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9289 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An awesome key date!
Guessing AU55
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
9655 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 maybe MS64
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just some quick notes for now. I'm on the run and I'll circle back later. EDS obverse, MDS reverse. Very sharp strike for 1921-S. Heavy clashing and extensive die polishing on the reverse, moderate clashing and polishing on the obverse. The reverse polishing reduces the features and makes it appear weaker than it is. This one could be undergraded. Really nice coin and well above average for the date.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53614 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree MS-63 or better.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1000 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well id have to agree with the 63 however does that minor lamination on the Obv take away from grading?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5756 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the AU58 crowd. Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5066 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The usual weak strike.
Tough to grade.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to go with 58 as there appears to be some circulation rub and the coin is not showing much luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely reverse....so much to learn about these buffs from year to year and location minted... however put me in the MS camp
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1753 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of spread in opinions, as I expected . Will post results tomorrow evening.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally back home, with time to look closely at this 1921-S.

The obverse is EDS. The rims are sharp and intact. The second feather rachis and calamus are complete. LIBERTY is bold. Both ribbons and the date and designer's initials are bold. Despite the early die state, there has been moderate polishing to reduce evidence of the die clashes. Note the heavy polishing lines beneath the Indian's chin (chin/EPU clash), east of the nose toward LIBERTY (LIB/right rear leg clash), and more modest polishing lines on the Indian's neck (neck/buffalo's back clash). Very few polishing lines exist near the first feather or the Indian's hair.

There are some distracting hairline surface scratches NW-SE in the Indian's hair. A few small contact marks are evident on the forehead, neck, and in the hair. The small lamination above the knot does not appear to be enough to snag an 83 body bag code from PCGS. The light golden toning matches what is common from the old Wayte Raymond (National Coin) albums. There is possible disruption of the toning near the hair/cheek line and in the hair west of that spot.

The reverse is MDS. It has fairly strong clash marking and heavy die polishing. The first feather/buffalo's head clash is faintly evident, with signs of polishing. The chin/EPU clash has been polished, with SW-NE polishing marks through EPU and N-S polishing marks south of ICA in AMERICA. The buffalo's back has also been polished from the Indian's neck/buffalo's back clash. Both the hair on the head and on the back have been reduced by polishing. There has been very heavy polishing on the right rear leg, from the LIB/leg clash. Some NE-SW polishing marks are still visible. The tail is very weakly split, but has been abraded. The die polishing was followed by die wear, reducing evidence of the polishing, but also leaving the visual appearance of circulation contact.

The light golden toning is evident on the reverse. There appears to be weak disruption of the toning on the buffalo's hindquarter and upper shoulder. There are light surface scratches on the head and flank, and what appears to be friction scuffing on the lower horn and buffalo's ear. Very few serious contact marks exist on this coin.

Putting this all together, I see a high AU coin with a solid strike and EDS/MDS dies. The album scuffing and die polishing could be mistaken for wear. The scuffing and golden color could be mistaken for an older cleaning and retoning. I see no evidence of cleaning and retoning.

This is exactly the type of Buff that could be undergraded. I would not be shocked to see it slabbed as EF-45 or even as EF/AU Details (cleaning). IMHO, this one is a bourse floor AU-55 or AU-58. It has excellent eye appeal. The small obverse lamination (and nascent WSW-ENE lamination across the buffalo's side) do not detract significantly from this coin.

The 1921-S is a tough critter, and a condition scarcity above VF. If this somehow has been undergraded, it would be a fantastic one to snag. If it is straight graded as MS, it's a very tough call. The hints of luster disruption and high point friction and the minor lamination(s) could be negotiating points.

In a lot of years chasing Buffs, I've only handled one truly exceptional 1921-S, and that was a sharply struck EDS/EDS MS-64. That one went well over Greysheet and sits in a longtime customer's collection today. (I don't have custody, but I do get visiting privileges.)

It's a joy to see a nice 1921-S. This is one of them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1753 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you FC for your expertise, as always! I think I speak for everyone in saying your knowledge and in depth responses are always appreciated.

PCGS called this AU50, sliding into my AU-MS set. One of the few coins that I had no problem paying retail pricing for. I feel the obverse lamination may have held this back a few. In hand it looks no less than AU53, but can see it possibly 55. Obviously PCGS saw less, but I'm more than happy to add it to the collection!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53614 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! I really have no business offering an opinion on something like this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9655 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
spank me. missed that one by a mile
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 580Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05