Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors And Varieties , New Wave Of Collecting ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 736Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15180 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  09:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is just a small rant ( mostly by me only ) but there are a hand full of CCF members that feel ( would rant ) the same as me with what I call ''New Wave Collecting'' what ever happened to collecting coins by date ,mint ,and condition without jumping up and down because you found one or two letters that look doubled or doubled lips , eyelid ,ETC .
Are you kidding me ! Look I understand that there are probably 97% of you that have been bitten by this ''New Wave . Fine and dandy ,you collect what you like and we oldies will still enjoy the original way of coin collecting .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2835 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly does seem like the "Variety and Errors" section has become flooded. Mainly because it's the most easiest thing to do, and people tend to watch a lot of YouTube videos thinking they have a million dollar coin.

I can answer that for you, relating to why a lot of people aren't collecting regular coinage that much, at least newer collectors. Before I even got into varieties and errors, I just wanted a full set of cents, as in from date-1909. I was pretty successful and got down to only a few coins in less than 6 months. But after that, things became increasingly expensive.

Variety collecting, as I said, is much easier to do. If you're coin roll hunting, the only thing you're spending is time. CRHing for date coins, from what I've heard, has become less common because finding older coins in rolls is becoming less and less likely. So, really if you want to collect something besides variety and errors, or modern sets, you've got to spend a decent bit of money.

If you introduce the newer generation as well, we tend to have a shorter attention span. Myself, not so much, as patience is one of my strong suits, but for others it isn't. Because of this shorter attention span, collecting date coins might eventually get "boring" for them. It might seem less fun, and looking through bank rolls or having the idea of finding something expensive in your change generally brings excitement. I honestly find both fun, but others just prefer the one.

I'm sorry that you feel this way Tony, I'm sure it's quite annoying for you.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1790 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not much of a variety / error searcher, but I did buy the Cherrypicker's Guide for kicks a few years ago. Looking at some of the prices realized for these items makes it pretty clear why some people search them out. Many times, they get their coins at or slightly above FV. If you have the equipment, the patience and the focus there are a few bucks to be made. CCF is a good place for these budding entrepreneurs to hone their skills. I hope that their enthusiasm will transform them into conventional coin nerds in the long run...

I think the people who search for different die marriages (a subject that fascinates me) are not far removed from this type of activity. I must admit that a Morgan VAM or a cool RPM gets me every time!

(Edited for content and spelling)
Edited by Bump111
12/29/2020 10:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56656 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt there has been a strong upsurge of interest in this area. I wish newer collectors would take advantage of the Search feature more often to learn about possible errors that interest them before posting questions.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15180 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments and yes I failed to mention CRH'ing which now days seems to be only for finding Errors & Varieties . The days for searching for 90% silver ,early Jefferson's and early Wheat cents are fruitless and virtually gone . So now I understand more about my reason for the rant . It's the changing times, that a few of us are in . Some have adapted ,and some have not .
I need another cup of Coffee !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a kinda guy that thinks if it is in the Red Book then it interests me.
We do have some dedicated experts here, don't get me wrong. I admire them.
Too many new collectors jump right into this error and variety niche without the faintest clue of the minting process.
The motivation is to find a big money coin in the wild. Soon they drop off the face of the planet with no Golden Fleece. I don't think the majority of these revolving door coin hunters are really "coin collectors".
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17329 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why has chasing errors and varieties become the big thing? It's very simple. It is the only area where you may still have a chance of finding something "good" in pocket change or roll searching. You want to put together a date and mint set from roll searching? Well you can do Memorial and Shield cents, or clad dimes or quarters. Nickels are about the only place where you may have a shot at finding things before 1964, you not going to realistically put together a silver set out of change or roll searching. Those clad or cent sets you can pretty much have complete in a week, and when you are done they are worth face value. We "oldtimers" actually had a chance of finding old coins, key dates etc in change. Todays beginning collector does not. Most anything they want, even the common dates, they are going to have to buy at a premium.

But there is still the possibility of finding errors or varieties in rolls. 1972, 83, 84, and 95 doubled die cents do still show up. 1982 no mintmark dies are still possible. Chips, cuds, and capped dies can still be found. You aren't going to get rich, you probably won't make money at all
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1863 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roll hunting for errors is fun and doesn't cost much. It lets the Newbies enter the hobby with something to look for. At least it keeps the hobby filled with 1st time collectors that may expand their interests to rare and collectible coins.
I don't see much of a difference between roll searching for errors and the buying of boxes to only search for silver, except for the cost of course. Come to think of it, who would you classify more as a coin collector - an error searcher or a silver searcher? (before you go there, I realize there are some that search boxes for silver AND errors at the same time)
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All great points and posts!

Quote:
Come to think of it, who would you classify more as a coin collector - an error searcher or a silver searcher?

For me; Coin collector, errors and silver are secondary.

Quote:
Errors And Varieties , New Wave Of Collecting ?

As stated; it probably is mostly for the newbies.

However, thanks to this forum I've found real "legitimate" significant mint errors (and yes, ones you can "actually" see with your naked eye) in my existing collection I didn't even know I had!...

Not something you need a scanning electron microscope to see, like a minute die marker.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8510 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw my hat in. The reason I like errors and varieties and type coins is all for the same reason. I don't like samey coins. Having 100 identical coins just isn't interesting to me, I like coins that are unique and individual
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BCTokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I started coin collecting in the 1960's, it was by searching pocket change. My memories are that mostly you saw coins of the previous 10 years, but with perserverance, you could complete date sets going back 30 years. It was also possible to go back 50 years, but these were more difficult (and more worn).

Expressing this in terms of US nickels, you could complete date sets of Jefferson nickels, but Buffalo nickels could still be found occasionally and if you were lucky the occasional liberty head nickel. For me, it was these different designs that encouraged my interest in coin collecting, and kept date collecting from being boring.

What is available now for beginning collectors? 10 years back - Jefferson nickels, 30 years back - Jefferson nickels, 50 years back - Jefferson nickels, 80 years back - Jefferson nickels. Boring, boring, boring. If beginning collectors want to search for something different, there are only varieties.

My point is that today's collectors are different than us old time collectors because what is available to them is different than what was available to us.

I should add that I grew up in Canada, so my experience was a little different, but in essence the same.

Jan
Pillar of the Community
United States
2835 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like coins that are unique and individual

Another great point that I agree with. Varieties can range quite a bit, and mint errors even more so. One of the big reasons I also collect what I collect. Date sets do pose an interest to me however, I just don't have the budget.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7105 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not help that the focus on the normal coin series of old has been market-changed to focus on key dates in slabs while regulating the rest of the set to "junk silver."

The old way of collecting was treasuring each coin individually based upon mintage (availability plays into this as well) and MM. It used to be a special thing to find an S mint mark on a coin b/c there were relatively few made. Now I see things such as a Walker with an S mint mark being sold at just over melt price.

Coin stores used to have trays by date and MM of (let's say as an example) Mercury dimes. You would go in, ask to see the tray, and then pick up the 2 or three stacked 2X2s in that coin's slot. you would compare the individual coins/price to see which one appealed the most to you of those in hand. The history of the vast majority of coins is no longer noted/appreciated by most. We see this concept somewhat related where it seems so very many newbies come here wanting to know, "Should I send this in to be graded?" ie. "Can I quit my day job by slabbing/selling this high grade rare coin?" They see youtube and slabs on eBay and end up thinking this is what the coin hobby is all about.
No more, "Cool! I got an S 1945 dime in change today - how uncommon is this compared to a P or D?"

A "set" is commonly viewed now as...buy a slabbed key (and maybe a few semi keys) and get the rest from the designated melt melt pile. Sad.

I also am not into clad. I thought my interests were not about inherent value. Yet as time goes by I find myself less and less wanting to accumulate by date and MM anymore b/c clad is worth more the day I put it away than it will be after a few years. And only the slabbed high grade examples are ever going to be deemed as worth anything. So I guess my collecting is about putting away value for the future and my kids.

My only exception to not caring about clad are Ikes and Kennedy halves.

Zincolns carry no interest for me since they can rot. And, knowing what happens, somehow I would botch storing them safely.

So errors are a new "fun" for me. I can go back over my accumulation and find things I did not know were there. But...they have to be discernible without a microscope to be of interest to me.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know about you T-Bop but when I started collecting a penny was a lot of money. Really didn't have the funding to keep minor variations. I think it's neat to see the interest but I too am not that into it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2211 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jumping up and down because you found one or two letters that look doubled or doubled lips , eyelid ,ETC .

Too old to see most of those very minor items and definitely too old to jump around if I did.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18419 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Major and obvious errors are important and often command big prices at auction, but
for very minor errors:- meh !

All hand struck coins (ancient and medieval) are unique, and individual unto themselves. Each coin is judged on it's own merits (or lack of them), and are valued accordingly. In most cases, if they are poorly struck, they are valued downwards.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 736Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05