Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923-S 5c Buffalo Nickel.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  4:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$75 which ended up being $6 net of some e-bucks I had this month. Thought the reverse had a strong strike which is seldom seen in SF mint issues in the early 20s. Lots of luster remains on this beauty. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54821 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a heck of a price based on these pics. VF-35?
Pillar of the Community
United States
612 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is going on at Buffalo's back? Environmental damage?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1999 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF35 as well, shot at XF. As NumisEd pointed out, can't tell if it's just poor pic quality or there's some ED on the reverse. Possible Details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2831 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with VF-35. Looks like some abrasions on the reverse, doesn't look like corrosion to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1825 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll reserve the grade until I see your photos. It looks EF-something from the blurry pics. The seller's pics are a bit too blurry for my eyes.

It is a strong strike overall. The obverse weakness is die state, probably combined with clash polishing. It is an LDS (nearly VLDS) obverse mismatched with an EMDS/MDS reverse. On the obverse, the strong strike can be seen with the nearly complete rachis and calamus on the second feather. (The missing lower rachis is die polishing.) The missing hair on the buffalo's head is polishing from the second feather/buffalo's head clash.

The spotting on the upper part of the buffalo is one concern. The semi-circular and fairly recent scratch across the buffalo's forelegs and beneath the buff's belly is the larger concern. Maybe a 2x2 staple bit this one?

Even if it is detailed, you are solidly to the good on this purchase. If is straight grades, you are better than double your purchase price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the money I think you did good!
EF-40 for me...
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
9791 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
poor lighting but i'd put in the XF40 range
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the pictures above were in hand pictures this time. I guess my photo skills are wanting but here is another attempt. Not sure if I can do better than this. I don't see anything indicating environmental damage in the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7636 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF40 possible details for the pitting.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Made a mini shadow box. Not sure if it helped.

Pillar of the Community
United States
612 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to clamp your phone, or have it lay down on a box. Then carefully press the shutter button.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2845 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All your photo images are out of focus. Looks like a nice original example.
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You need to clamp your phone, or have it lay down on a box. Then carefully press the shutter button.

Can you use wired buds as a shutter button?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos are taken using a phone lying on a box about 6 inches above the coin. Coin rests flat on a black sheet of paper. Light from an incandescent bulb at a 45 degree angle.

For the third set of pictures, I used 3 boxes 5 inches tall blocking light on 3 sides and leaving one side for the incandescent light to come in on just one side. Phone was above boxes covering fully above, creating a mini shadow box.
Edited by numismatic student
01/20/2021 11:03 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05