Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 - P Morgan Dollar Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 225Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
514 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do we think of this one? The reverse has a ton more lustre than the obverse as you can see from the photo.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9643 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough one. The obverse almost looks like slight circulation friction. The reverse appears to be MS.
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55777 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call for sure. I'll say MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2172 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3559 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with a strong MS62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9923 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
average strike for this year. I really want to put this in the MS box but I'm having a difficult time with the obverse doing that. AU55 the reverse might pull it up to 58
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say 58
Pillar of the Community
United States
5443 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any wear and the fields don't show any of the darkening that comes from friction. Strike is decent and contact marks are minimal. If the obverse luster is subdued that might drop it from gem status but based on these pictures I'm thinking 65 with a shot at 66. Seems like a very nice Morgan.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55777 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda hard to believe that reverse ever saw any circulation!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
58 There appears to be circulation rub on the cheek and neck.
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That has to be one of the most beautiful Morgan reverses ive ever seen. Looks almost proof like. Shame about the obverse, though.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted Today  8H 21M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a slider.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2978 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 56M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some one-sided exposure to some handling, but it couldn't have been in actual circulation. Despite the gorgeous reverse, I can't see this higher than a net of MS-63 with all the marks and loss of luster on the obverse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05