Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

198? P Kennedy Half Dollar Clipped Planchet, Anything Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 351Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NoneyaBizznez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Learn More...
United States
19135 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. I know that you have a bunch of pics posted already, but could you please add one overall for the rev too? I'm interested to see if there is some Blakesley Effect on that side.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NoneyaBizznez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56652 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us a straight-on pic of the edge? No Blakesley effect I can see.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NoneyaBizznez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seem to be after strike damage. A clip planchet will have same arc segment with the coin, your do not have. Then look at the borders of the clip. Think after cut the planchet is go to the milling process, where the borders are press on rotative press movements.

Under 9 you has a post strike damage.

For the strike design I do not pronounce, not my specialty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will another half fit into that "clip" snugly? I'm leaning towards PMD..someone made this to deceive...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greasy you are wright. If was the cut planchet must have the same segment "arc". then the cut is round?!!? No cut planchet will do a round cut and no strait cut lines.
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm agreeing with PMD, not a clipped planchant. Both the obverse and reverse rims are slightly distorted where it appears something was used to punch out the section of this coin. If it was a true clip, the rim(s) would not be deformed. In addition, the O in OF on the reverse is showing the right side of the O to be moved inward and distorted which would be a result of someone taking a piece off this coin. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Edited by Scuba1
04/15/2021 11:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4840 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could be wrong, but I'm leaning toward clipped planchet. Look at the rims adjacent to it on both sides- you can see where they're not fully struck up from the lower pressure in that area. I don't think that shape is consistent with damage from a tool. 3:00 on the obverse is probably the best example.
I'm seeing a similar effect with the C in AMERICA.
As for the O in OF, I'm thinking it just looks funky since part of it isn't struck up from being close to the clip. The thickness of the letter should be roughly consistent all around, and you can see the outline of the correct shape; the "displaced" metal you're seeing is still within the normal area of the O. Compare: https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...5-p-50c/6747
The edge looks good to me too.

I may well be wrong. I look forward to hearing from the experts.
Edited by Numisma
04/16/2021 12:36 am
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Nusmisa now that I looked at this coin more in depth and now I have questions........ My main question now is the looks of the devices on the reverse, predominantly the O in OF and the C in AMERICA and then secondly the stars adjacent to those letters. They all have a completely different appearances than any of the other devices on the coin on the reverse, in relation to the 'clip' and appear to have a bad case of Die Deterioration even though I know that's not the subject here but now makes me question if this could be an effect or result of a clip..... Even though it's not a consistent arc as previously stated. Gonna wait for the experts too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50636 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a curved clip planchet. Note the weakness of the devices near the affected areas. ('T' on Trust and 'C' on America) The larger clips will have the arc distorted. The Blakesley is present. Nice find. Real deal.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/16/2021 09:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2847 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with coop. It's a real clip and may even be triple clipped. I think that the other distorted devices are the result of movement during the strike. The change of the curve in the large clip is caused by metal flow during the strike. The deep relief areas will have less outward movement of the metal than the fields.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone making an error like this wouldn't clip off the date, they want maximum value, and dateless coins aren't exactly gonna give them that
Pillar of the Community
United States
1574 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a clip. Very easy to spot guys. Look at the weakness in the area surrounding the clip.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05