Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Fatman Coins - Dates?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,008Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  3:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJcustomsNY to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a few of these coins at a flea market they do appear to be silver and non-magnetic. I have also tested one coin for silver and it's silver. I can't seem to date these coins. The guy I bought them from said he got them at an auction.

Can anyone date these coins for me, please?

Learn More...
United States
20044 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jj, first welcome to CCF. Second, here is a numista link with information on dating the Fat Man Dollars. Lastly, I know that you say that one tests for silver, but did you just do a surface test? If so, then consider doing a specific gravity test to see if the silver is more than just a plating. As you likely know, these were (and continue to be) *highly* counterfeited.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3849.html
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJcustomsNY to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I scratch tested one ^.^ and a surface test both came up silver not pure but I would say 80-90%. Very blue color and I have been looking all over for these coin dates ive checked that website but the symbols I just cant match up to any other posts online.

Weight of coins 26-27G
Edited by JJcustomsNY
04/25/2021 5:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The first is dated year 8 (1919), the second is year 5 (1916), and the third appears to be some sort of modern fantasy piece.

That said, I'm highly suspicious of the toning on all three. I'd be willing to bet they're all fakes, though I suppose they could possibly still be silver.

Had they been real, scratch and chemical tests would damage the coins and significantly lower their value. Most jewelers or precious metal buyers should have an XRF device that could tell the composition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt that the second coin is genuine.

Actually as RYURAZU posted below, I also doubt any are real.
It's just that coin two quickly caught my eye as not genuine.
I worded it in such a way as to see if anyone would ask why?
Since coin two cannot be genuine, it casts doubt on the others as well.
Edited by Albert
04/26/2021 12:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1073 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i doubt any are real, with last pairing being a fantasy piece as I don't see how there was a die with little fireballs on top of the fat man.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1595 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Old Fatman Coins - Dates?

I picked up a few of these coins at a flea market...

Stopped reading after that!
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, I just read about chopmarks on coins and I came across a part where a so called expert claims that in his opinion, no genuine Fat Man coins exist without chopmarks. I know that sounds like a bold claim but I am not the expert nor versed in these at all. Just trying to pass along what info I came across.
Valued Member
473 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no Year 5 of this type and colour looks kinda off.
Learn More...
United States
101999 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numister is correct. The legends on the Fat Man Dollars contain the numerals 3, 8, 9 and 10 regardless of the actual date struck.
In looking at the Numista web page, if I were a member, I'd submit several or more corrections.
There is a numeral 5 on a Fat Man coin, but it's a 20 cent piece.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, good catch. I was just going off Numista.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this case regarding Republican issued Fat Man dollars, Numista as a reference is greatly limited.
The format of the page(s) cannot possibly cover the abundance of variations of strike, size, weight and purity of silver over the years.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17844 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3360 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are often silver plated replicas to fool silver test. I would ask for your money back.

None are genuine and are likely plated base metal. Details are completely wrong
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
330 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  06:09 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a gross fake in my opinion. Although I do not understand Chinese coins and may be wrong.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,008Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05