Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When You Started What Was Your First Prized Find That Hooked U?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,439Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
245 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  08:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have to say the hook for me was the excitement of knowing the history of any coin is what hooked me. I also like the idea of searching in circulated change for something fun.
Learn More...
United States
34309 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was about 10 years old, I found this coin on my Grandfather's farm in south Texas near a shack where seasonal migrant workers lived. I still have it (obviously).
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We moved when I was six, and in the garage of the new house, I found a little box with an 1857 Seated quarter and an 1843 fourpence.

After I got into numismatics, a few relatives gave me their old Wheat cent folders and I found a 1917 DDO in one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my grandma had a small brass Lincoln bust piggy bank, in it were some old wheat cents, old Canadian coins, an old, worn Morgan dollar and an 1857-O liberty Seated dime. after she passed dad had no interest in the coins, so I copped them. those old coins in that Lincoln piggy bank hooked me at a young age.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8933 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got this in my pocket money when I was about six years old:
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I confess: I'm old enough that collections and tips on my newspaper route routinely included Barbers, Indian Heads, Mercs, Standing/Walking Liberties, etc., so I hoarded the heck out of those (and my tooth-fairy proceeds) and filled all the Whitman blue books. At the same time, three or four of my small-town local banks were always glad to swap me their Morgan and Peace dollars for my piggybank stuff.

Switched to world coins over a period of a few years -- maybe grades 5-7 -- when some of my vacationing relatives got into the habit of bestowing all their "foreign money" on me when they got home from their trips to Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean, etc. It was from one of those little endowments that my First Prized Find emerged, totally captivated my imagination, and turned me into the stalwart "British World" collector I've been for the last six decades.

Here it is...the pirate ship clinched it for me!

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Learn More...
United States
102206 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is impressive!

The first prize that hooked me. Anyone want to guess? If you are new here, hint is in the signature.
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My uncle introduced me to coin collecting when I was 7 years old. He gave me my first coin, a 1939 Walking Half in Au condition. He showed me his vast collection of colonials, early gold, and even what he said was a Native American money belt among other things. I was so intrigued that I became a pita by always asking family members if I could check their change. My first significant find was a circulated 1950D Jefferson nickel and at that age I thought I hit the jackpot!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8763 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it'd have to be this

http://goccf.com/t/335954
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Akkdayam's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Akkdayam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I still have it but one of my dads Freinds came over and handed me a bag of foreign coins and said
"Here you go"
And then I got obsessed with looking into them
Hello I am not great at coin collecting so what I said above Is probably wrong

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2608 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a Three-legged Buffalo.
Learn More...
United States
102206 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think I still have it but one of my dads Freinds came over and handed me a bag of foreign coins and said "Here you go"
Outstanding!

Quote:
I found a Three-legged Buffalo.
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What first got me interested was finding a 1942-S Mercury dime and 1942-D Washington quarter in my change jar. They were worn to heck, but it got me interested in the coins of world war II, which got me interested in silver nickels and steel cents, and the snowball effect really just took off from there
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
United States
1901 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1909 Lincoln cent received in change at Winn-Dixie when I was about 8 years old. Showed it to my father that evening and he proceeded to show me the pile of Walkers that he had culled from pocket change over the years. That day ignited the interest. I saved my meager lawn mowing money and bought my first LCS coin soon after, a '57 Flying Eagle (AU setting me back about $7.) The beginning of a long love affair!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I lost my first tooth as a young child, I put it under my pillow and in the morning was surprised to find an 1854 quarter. I didn't know what it was, had never seen a seated liberty coin, so my dad made me look it up in his 1958 blue book that he had. After I learned what it was he informed me that that was the same quarter he got from his dad when he lost his first tooth (he was born in 1916 and remembers seeing lots of Seated Liberty coins as a small child in my grandfathers cash register). I no longer have it, it went under my son's pillow when he lost his first tooth and he is saving it to pass on to his first child (if he ever has one). The quarter is gone but it sparked a life long interest in coin collecting that is still strong.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20287 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Dad gave me a new type of penny when they first came out. Shinny, 1943 steel cent.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,439Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05