Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Creating Bullion Coins Using Classical Coin Designs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 326Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you think about it, the ASE basically is a Walking Liberty half dollar copied to a 1 oz. silver bullion coin. The Buffalo silver and gold bullion coins have their origins in the Buffalo nickel.
The 2021 Morgan and Peace Bullion coins will be similar: copies of the classical Morgan and Peace dollars.
So why stop there? The Mint could go on and copy the Standing Liberty quarter and mint Standing Liberty silver bullion coins. Or copy the Mercury dime and mint Mercury silver bullion coins.
Soon enough, you will be "required" to buy dozens of bullion coins each year just to keep up all these "copies"!
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 2021 Morgan and Peace Bullion coins will be similar: copies of the classical Morgan and Peace dollars.
The 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars are not bullion copies. They are actual coins that are minted with a continuation of an older design.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not true. The classical Morgan and Peace dollars are 90% silver. The 2021 version are 99.9% silver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11025 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what the disagreement is here. The design has been carried forward regardless of silver content.
Edited by CelticKnot
05/07/2021 10:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Admittedly, I think I would be in support of the US mint reviving more old designs, for the opportunity to see designs that I like on modern coins again... Not to mention, seeing an ASE or dollar sized Standing Liberty? That would be awesome!

However, I would likely do the same as I plan to with the 2021 Morgan, 2021 Peace, and each ASE design: 1 and done (price contingent).

EDIT: ...but only for the designs I love
Edited by PNWType
05/07/2021 11:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure what the disagreement is here. The design has been carried forward regardless of silver content.

I think the disagreement is about the definition of the word "copy" and "bullion".
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not true. The classical Morgan and Peace dollars are 90% silver. The 2021 version are 99.9% silver.
Using that logic, then the 1965 Kennedy half dollars did not continue the 1964 half dollar type and the 1971 did not continue the 1970 one.

Quote:
I think the disagreement is about the definition of the word "copy" and "bullion".
.999 <> Bullion. If so, then all silver commemorative coins the last two years are now bullion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Using that logic, then the 1965 Kennedy half dollars did not continue the 1964 half dollar type and the 1971 did not continue the 1970 one.

Ha! Good catch.
A series can be continued even when the metal composition of the coin changes.
I have read somewhere that "bullion coins" typically have the purity shown on the coin. Since that is NOT the case with the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars, I suppose they accurately are called Commemoratives (NCLT).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullion_coin
Edited by NumisEd
05/10/2021 11:02 am
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since that is NOT the case with the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars, I suppose they accurately are called Commemoratives (NCLT).
That would be accurate, at least the NCLT part (non-circulating legal tender), which the denominated bullion coins are as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any opinion on "continuing" the SLQ and Mercury designs?
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any opinion on "continuing" the SLQ and Mercury designs?
Only if it means retiring George and FDR.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05