Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Soaked A Penny In Vinegar - What Happened?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 815Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***

I test soaked a penny in vinegar to see if it would rid the coin of spots. I forgot about the penny for two days and when I took it out this happened. Can someone explain what happened?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The vinegar found a way through the plating and dissolved the zinc core in that area. The rest of the coin is protected by the copper plating.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a tiny opening in the copper plating. The acetic acid (vinegar) made it past the copper layer and quickly began to dissolve the zinc. What will be the state of these Zincolns 100 years from now?! Time will not be kind to them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4290 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little puzzled why there appears to be no apparent reaction with the vinegar on the coin's surfaces, especially having been exposed for many hours. Hmmm. I'll have to try an experiment tonight.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51564 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like the edge had a split in the plating and the zinc was exposed and broke down. So the acid from the vinegar dissolved the zinc layer. So when pressure was applied to that area, it crumbled like a fender on a car during an accident. I've heard of people turning the coin into a copper colored Hershey's kiss wrapper, using acid with a coin with two holes on the edges of a zincoln, like your coin. So it is not a mint error, but PSD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. I will have to set a timer for next time. I guess I can use this as a conversation piece.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4290 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All things being equal, it's generally not a good idea to bathe coins in vinegar.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ijn1944 vinegar is something like 5 to 8% pure acetic acid. A stronger solution would like have a greater effect on the copper plating.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51564 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On copper coins it will turn them pink and it will take years to get the correct color back. Acid removes the mint fresh surface right off the coin. There is no getting it back. The harm has been done. If you are going to experiment, try using worthless change to experiment on.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All things being equal, it's generally not a good idea to bathe coins in vinegar.

I agree... The only chemical that is safe to soak coins in is acetone. It will not affect the coin`s surface luster and will clean the coin of any organic substances.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
4290 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just dropped a fresh, very common shield cent into a glass container of culinary vinegar. I'll check on it later tomorrow. If anything interesting shows, I'll post a photo.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51564 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there is split plating on it, you might have a Copper colored Hershey's kiss wrapper in there tomorrow. Take some images of it and I'll add them to my files. Right now om my image host it say, 11,984. Soon to be 12K. Probably take a day or two to get there?
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15379 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some one took a bite out of a chocolate coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4537 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
someone said experiment?....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybrid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is interesting never heard of anything like that happening before. Sorry about your cent
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well someone has figured out how to make a fortune with vinegar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353471312093?LH_Auction=1
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 815Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05