Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937 3 Legged Buffalo Nickel With No Mint Mark

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,101Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  9:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rh2472508 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I own a 1937 three-legged Buffalo nickel with no mint mark. Having trouble finding information on it was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. I've been collecting coins for over 40 years but I've never actually done anything research on them. Just kept them because I like their uniqueness. I've only been researching them for about a year now but there's so much I still don't know it was hoping that I can learn quite a bit from you veterans. I appreciate any information and or comments thank you

Edited by Rh2472508
06/04/2021 10:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11620 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Please post a picture of the Reverse, you have two of the Obverse.
From what I see, it is not a 3 legger
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rh2472508 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize about that Jimmy. I'm still figuring this out. But I think I got it posted now and thank you for pointing it out to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11620 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but that is not a 3 legger. It has been modified to look like one.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rh2472508 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I ask how you come to that conclusion. I only ask because I don't know what to look for and apparently you do and that would help me. By either way I appreciate you taking the time out to help me with this..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60696 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us a sharp close-up of the missing leg area, please.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was made much like a hobo nickel. Surface ground away with tools.
The whole area under the buffalo head & body was worked over.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4845 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with addition of last photo (in line-up). Clearly worked over, also under belly...IMO
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
6024 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tooled to remove the leg and whizzed to hide the tooling work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4138 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easily identified as tooled. Worth 5 cents.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rh2472508 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was found in pocket change so 5 cents is what was paid for it.. I guess the best thing to do now would be to destroy it so it. I I really appreciate all of you for sharing your knowledge. There's no telling how much of mine and other people's time I would have wasted trying to figure this out if it hadn't been for all. Hope everyone has a good day and thank you all
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15862 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , the missing leg was intentionally tooled off then a poor attempt of smoothing area out to look like a 1937-D 3-legged Buffalo ; Problem is the idiot did it on a 37-P .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18130 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60696 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone unclear on the concept, apparently.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Problem is the idiot did it on a 37-P .
Learn More...
United States
34862 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
read this for more information on the 3-lleged Buffalo nickel
https://www.PCGS.com/news/1937-d-3-...ng-attention
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,101Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05