Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1952 D Lincoln 30% Off Center On Odd Planchet

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 511Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Definitely something going on here that isn't labeled on the slab. Hard to weigh a coin in a slab but I compared it to one other and this coin weighed 0.2 grams more than the other slab. The two possibilities to me are split planchet (odd they wouldn't mention the underweight planchet) or a roller error. What do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way above my pay grade, but a great coin for sure.
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it is odd to see such a rough planchet. I'm also interested to see what folks think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys my thoughts as well. I bought it as a normal off center cent but the seller knew there was something up as well. He said he wasn't sure what it was and NGC didn't clarify when he submitted the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
World coins with this amount of off center can be had in the $50 to $100 range.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40856 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The planchet before striking does look...well striking
There is more than the off center strike here. Maybe Mike would like to see it?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots going on there. Very nice addition to your collection! I'm sure you checked it, Will but it looks like something going on inside the mm too. That would be cool to have an RPM or OMM on top of everything else.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2433 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin.
But if it split before the strike (which it looks like due to the raised areas/streaks on the obv) it should weigh less not more than the other slab.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. We'll see. I did notice the mint mark looking funny and it seemed to possibly be a minor RPM as well. I'll be home later if more pictures are needed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The off center is the premium for the coin. If the weight was less, it doesn't matter. Does affect the value of the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so sure you're right about this coop.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/196.../1231-9596.s

This one sold for a grand. Also I wasn't asking for an appraisal on this coin. Having the coin in hand it's still hard to diagnose. If I had to guess after looking at the coin several times I would call it a split planchet before strike but have not ruled out a rolled through error either. My last observation is that the mounds and perforations on this coin are not raised high or deep into the planchet. It's hard to see them at certain angels. I was hoping for it to be one of those rolled through textures and patterns but can't confirm anything without breaking the coin out of the case.

http://www.error-ref.com/rolling-mill-errors/
Edited by Willburton
09/12/2021 9:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2297 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the 1950s, the Denver mint used everything that was available to strike coins. The post-war boom was in full swing, and production demands pushed the mint's capacity.

In addition to two-head and four-head Bliss vertical presses, Denver still had outdated knuckle-joint Bliss and Ferracute presses. They were clunky, slow, and single-head presses. These definitely were used to strike quarters in Denver well into the 1950s.

Here are questions that I can't answer:
Did Denver use the knuckle-joint presses for cents in 1952?
If so, could the rocking action of the knuckle-joint press have brought either the ram or the unfinished bevel of the die into contact with the planchet obverse, either before this planchet was struck off-center or during that strike?

Just a thought for discussion. I don't have any answers here. The slow single-head knuckle presses absolutely were in use in 1952 in Denver to strike quarters. Other denominations? *shrug*
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight would be different if it is a split off. You might check other examples to see if the devices fade near struck areas? It might be worth getting it regraded? Check with Mike Diamond to get his thoughts? Possibly his confirmation could be sent in with the coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/12/2021 9:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The texture of the unstruck crescent on the obverse certainly resembles that of a split planchet. Comparing slab weights is not reliable. If you crack it out, and the coin's weight is normal, then we will have to consider more exotic scenarios, such as a rolled-in texture.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 511Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05