Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1952 D Lincoln 30% Off Center On Odd Planchet

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,802Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike. My final opinion on this coin is 100% struck on split plan. I was able to magnify the side of the coin and it definitely isn't as thick as it should be. I may send it back in but don't want to break it out of the case. My reason being there's a scratch on the coin and I don't know how it straight graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a quick follow-up. I have a friend who worked at the Denver Mint during this era. I talked with him last night. He remembered the knuckle-joint presses very well, and not fondly. He said that he never saw them used for anything except quarters and half dollars.

I think we can scratch the knucklers from the list of possibilities.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys I got tired of looking at this coin and not knowing exactly what is going on. I was very surprised to see that the weight is spot on?
Learn More...
United States
24148 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Freed from its plastic tomb! With the weight being correct, I guess we are down to some exotic explanations. I look forward to learning more.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes sir. I messaged Mike and said I had broken it out of the case and the weight was correct. We'll see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2212 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The normal weight leaves me uncertain as to what's going on. If it's a rolled-in texture, the substance responsible is a mystery. I suppose a very thin split-off sheet of copper could have been dislodged and landed on this area of otherwise normal strip, imparting the texture of its split face, but that's just a wild guess. Another possibility is that this was originally a thick planchet, and the loss of a thin layer before the strike restored it to an approximately normal weight.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Edited by mikediamond
01/11/2022 2:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Mike I appreciate the look anyway. If you think the coin in hand would do any better I would be glad to send it to you. But the pictures represent the texture very well.

I was thinking a slightly heavy plan as well that happened to split at 3.2 grams.
Edited by Willburton
01/11/2022 3:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2212 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A third possibility is that one of the rollers was coated with a lumpy substance that was stretched out in the direction of the moving strip. That substance then left a corresponding uneven yet linear texture in the strip.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2212 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be happy to examine it for you and potentially write it up for Coin World. Just send me a PM and I'll tell you where to send it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10305 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dearborn and Mike. Dearborn I took a look at your ASE set. Very nice! You know there are a couple of big DDOs in the series.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,802Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: