Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 10,000 Post Contest. Thank You CCF Friends For All The Years!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 75 / Views: 1,741Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10087 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks for the many years on CCF I have enjoyed.
Joined 2/10/2008 and averaged around 2 posts per day.
Many friends present and many who have left us.
Lots of patience and tolerance from the staff and members.
I have not been 100% right and have been a bad boy a time or three.
Again, Thank you!

Rules are

1. US only members (exception - see 1b.) with 50 Quality Posts and with at least 1 month of CCF membership to guess.
1b. Added rule, see http://goccf.com/t/409851#3516537
2. One guess only and it will include three answers in face value.
3. Only one prize per person. Three winners.
4. Only the first guess posted of any duplicate guesses made counts.
5. Contest ends Thursday evening 10 PM Eastern Time on Nov 4th 2021.
6. Mods and Staff may play as far as I know?

I mentioned in a post one day that two equal size containers, one with dimes and one with quarters would not be equal in face value. I thought one would be better than the other, but I was unsure of that at the time.

LINK
http://goccf.com/t/390386&whichpage=3#3342321

So I said I would do the experiment. I filled each container to the very top which I recently accomplished. I was going to use pint jars but found one of the answers on the internet so you'll have to guess without knowing the actual volume this container holds.

Well, here we have two basically equal size results loose in the same odd size jar.
As I filled the jar, I shook it so the coins would settle as tightly as possible. Once filled, I poured over coins until I couldn't get any more to stay on top.

In your guesses, Answer like this for example:

Dimes $ 1010.10
Quarters $ 2525.25
Total $ 3535.35
(of course these numbers are crazy wrong)

Prize pictures (terrible pics)

No 1 PRIZE

Total of both face value closest answer. example $ 3535.35
( May or may not be closest on dimes or quarters or both )

No 2 PRIZE

Total dimes face value closest or next closest guess in case 1st prize winner also nailed it. $ 1010.10

No 3 PRIZE

Total quarters face value closest or next closest guess in case 1st prize winner also nailed it. $ 2525.25

Closest winner can pick which prize they want, starting with 1st and then 2nd then 3rd gets remaining prize.
I already rolled up the coins and took pictures with totals on my pc.
I'll post after it's over.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
10/27/2021 08:51 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10087 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Per jbuck's advice

For those who are using Chrome or Chromium based browsers (Edge, Opera, etc) and cannot see images, please try this:

Click on the padlock in the address bar.

Click on site settings.

Under Permissions, scroll down to 'Insecure content' and set to Allow.

Reload the page and images should load.

This will only affect CCF. Mixed content will remain blocked on all other sites until you allow it.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if we can't get the volume of the jars, how about the weight of them (when full)?....

Congrats and Thank you on/for your 10,000 posts.
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
25= $152.75
10= $97.30
Total= $250.05
Thanks for the interesting contest.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your 10,000 post

Fun contest, I look forward to the answer. I'm thinking the quarter jar holds substantially more face value.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
643 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carwash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Congratulations on 10,000 posts

Dimes. $65.20
Quarters. $89.50
Total. $154.70

Thanks for the contest.
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to sit out this contest as I just won one and I don't want to hog all the bounty.

Thx for this contest and all of your contributions over the years @tng!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
5894 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! Just so happens I'm into upgrading my Jefferson collection--filling-in a Jefferson dansco that's been languishing in a closet. Here we go:

Dimes: $68.30
Quarters: $83.25
Total: $151.55
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2047 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congrats on 10k posts!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
900 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to The Nickel Guy for rolling 10 grand. . Cool contest. May I play in proxy using US addresses? I won't win, loonie luck and all, but it would cover 2 Christmas gifts for friends/members down south. . No worries.

Cheers to another 10 grand.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Edited by loonielewy
10/27/2021 08:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dimes: $45
Quarters: 60
Total: $105

Thanks for the contest!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set:
http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10087 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
loonielewy

Quote:
Congrats to The Nickel Guy for rolling 10 grand. . Cool contest. May I play in proxy using US addresses? I won't win, loonie luck and all, but it would cover 2 Christmas gifts for friends/members down south. . No worries.

Yes loonie, great idea. Anyone, anywhere can play and I'll send to a US CCF friend or YN. It"s just that I don't want mail getting delayed or lost or sitting in Antarctica for months.
Thanks for playing and for the congrats!
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
10/27/2021 09:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1972 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - making me think first thing in the morning! Good to get the gray matter pumping. Thanks for the contest! Here are my guesses:

Dimes: $75
Quarters: $75
Total: $150
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
900 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone, anywhere can play and I'll send to a US CCF friend or YN.

Super. Thanks TNG. Glad to help. Now we have to figure out the size of your container ....nice wild card that will keep the guesses scattered. . Good fun.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
United States
779 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats. 10K is crazy number of posts.
Dimes $35.70
Quarters $45.75
Total $81.45
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to have some fun with geometry and made use of the full face quarter (which obviously has a known diameter) shown in the quarter jar to determine the ratio of the visual (photographic) diameter to the known diameter - hence providing the ability to estimate the diameter and height of TNG container.

So, with an estimate of the container volume calculated (cubic inches) its not too far of a stretch to calculate the volume of an individual dime and quarter given their published diameters and thickeness respectively.

Given that TNG says the container are tightly packed, I also assume a 95% packing factor - so 5% unused space.

I'm not interested in receiving a prize - it was just a fun distraction to lay a scale on my MacBook Pro monitor and arrive at the following estimated values:

Dimes $68.20
Quarters $71.25
Total $139.45

I won't ruin the fun for anyone else who wants to go this route - at the end of the contest I'll post my estimate of TNG container diameter and height to see how far off I was.

Never let it be said that a degree in engineering cannot be used for some fun.

Edited to correct splneging
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
10/27/2021 10:18 am
Page: of 5 Replies: 75 / Views: 1,741Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: