Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 D Half Dollar Die Gouge, Die Deterioration, Or Both?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 487Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
100 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2022  2:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Everyone,
I found this 1972 D half dollar that appears to have a die gouge below the reverse tail feathers. The coin displays heavy die polish marks and some Machine Doubling. I tried to do some research on feeder finger scrapes on Kennedy half dollars and what I found shows them thinner and running diagonal rather than vertical.

Is this a non-feeder finger related die gouge? I don't believe it's Die Deterioration related but I've been wrong before.

Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2022  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the heavy die polishing lines present in different parts of that reverse I am more inclined to suspect an incomplete attempt to polish off a clash rather than feeder finger/die scrapes or a gouge.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like most of the Feeder Finger Damage was polished off. Some still remaining. But this may be be a case of not as deep scraping into the die. On the obverse, the bridge of the nose also looks like it was polished off some. So I feel this was a resurrection of an altered die by FFD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a really good eye. I didn't even notice the heavy obverse polishing around the nose until you mentioned it. I've included a close up shot of the nose.

What makes you lean toward this resulting from polishing off FFD rather than polishing off a clash? I just want to better understand how to differentiate since both seem like plausible explanations.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We see this on other denominations that have the similar Feeder Finger Damage on them:
Quarters:

The damage to the die will leave marks like this:

After they are polished, they look like the examples on the first images.

Cents:

This can be light damage to the die or strong. Depends on how affected the FFD was on the dies:

The wheat cents had a different direction than the Memorial and Shield cents. More of a vertical direction on the coins.

The design on Nickels is a bit different on some years:

Dimes have a different direction:

Leaving flat look on the reverse area:

More of a Horizontal affect. On the direction they will be at the same angles as the same danominations.

Halves:

[ig]https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49...967__AAA.jpg

The larger the die, the less of an area the polishing will affect.

Dollars:

Heavy polishing to remove the FFD could affect this much of the die and the coins might look like this:

I used to think that die clashes were the what affected the dies the most, but now, I see the damage that the dies take from the FFD. That is the cause of the strongest polishing. There are other events that happen to affect the dies, like the polishing off of die dents from contact from other dies.

So when we see reduction on the fields, that is how the die polishing makes even devices/design change.

But we see the FFD more often. On some of the images, they were from the past, but some of the newer images will show dates of when the information was new/updated with the different years on the badges. Seems like more new stuff is being updated as we realize the directions are noticed. But that is what I base the information on my reasoning. This is just a thorough update on all denominations. Sorry to be long, but I like to train the eyes to get used to how/why doe polishing happens.

CoopHome: What is Feeder Finger Damage? How does it affect the coins affected by the polishing process?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/05/2022 11:52 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 487Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: