Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odds That These Coins Are Fakes?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,095Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  10:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hard to believe that someone would include a 1799 large cent in a "lot" listing...

I asked eBay about it but it's still up for sale as of now.

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh. I just looked up 1799 large cent; didn't know they cost so much! I agree - sort of suspicious. They might have just started out with a low starting bid, though.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look damaged, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake

Very easy to tell
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
06/19/2022 1:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking at the 1799 to see if I was interested in placing a bid. The coin is heavily corroded, damaged and worn making it difficult to evaluate. There are some of the die markers that appear correct, but the 7 in the date is off as it is too close to the 9 and too low.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very easy to tell

Why are these so easy to tell that the coins are fake?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some folks here, it is easy as they deal with that type of coin all the time. Just like I can spot a 1982 large date over a small date within a second after looking at it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4032 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very easy to tell

This comment simply tells us that your eye for fakes is better than most.

Slider23 makes a good point. This is a "teaching moment." What diagnostics are so off target that make this '99 such an obvious fake?

BTW, here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374136163589

Edited by ExoGuy
06/19/2022 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1778 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so obvious fakes from these photos. Closeups would help tell for sure. First impression is genuine. I am curious why NumismaticsFTW thinks the 1799 is an easily recognizable counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1795 looks odd, I dismissed based on that.

I wouldn't take the chance personally, but maybe some experts can chime in.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'm definitely curious now to see what price this ends up given the responses above. I'm assuming eBay either thinks it's real or doesn't care seeing as how the listing has yet to be removed. It also makes me wonder how good eBay is at independently catching fakes or if they mainly rely upon people alerting them to listings with potential issues.
Learn More...
United States
23741 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It also makes me wonder how good eBay is at independently catching fakes or if they mainly rely upon people alerting them to listings with potential issues.

Someone with more knowledge can correct me, but impression is that it is mainly the latter. Then again, maybe their algorithms are catching a ton before they even get posted to eBay.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2203 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1799 is a four-figure coin in the lowest grade, and it's being sold in a lot with two other coins? That's enough of a red flag for me. What's up with the gold stuff? Gut feeling is that this is plated replica jewelry that ended up in the ground, or some cheap Chinese attempt to disguise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buyer beware.
Learn More...
United States
38683 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  06:54 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone is willing to spend $309 (or maybe more) to see if at least one is genuine; and if not, return them.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the 1795 is a counterfeit, would it be an older counterfeit not made recently? Perhaps a numismatic forgery from many decades ago?

What I'm wondering is if modern counterfeiters have the ability to also counterfeit "circulation wear," where cuts, dings, and marks can be made to appear genuine when in fact all those characteristics are falsified. Faking an older coin that appears to be uncirculated or lightly circulated is one thing, but also faking the appearance of decades of circulation is another challenge all to itself (it would seem to me) because each cut, scratch, or dent would have varying levels of wear on them, or appear that way.

What features on the 1795 were the dead giveaway?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,095Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: