Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 D Penny Error WDMM? New To Hobby Need Guidance

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 478Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  06:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ck2038 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I recently began searching penny rolls and am only about 50 rolls in. I found what I think is something but I haven't had enough experience to be sure. I have tried asking in a several Facebook groups and asked a few other places and have found zero help with this coin. it is a 1969 D penny with what I think is doubling on the obverse and either a dual S mint mark or another oddity I have yet to learn about along with what is either just grime and dirt or a lamination error. My eyes are very poor and I have a difficult time seeing so I could be completely wrong. I apologize if that's the case. Hopefully someone will find it interesting though. Thank you for your time I hope someone can help.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ck2038 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about my incompetence. I will try again to post other 2 photos.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15851 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

No need to apologize, everyone has to learn sometime.
There are no errors in on your coin.
The mark beside the mm is just a hit from some something causing an indentation.
Everything else can be attributed to circulation wear.
Remember, it is only an error if it happens during the striking of the coin.
Things like dings, scratches, damaged letters excessive wear etc. can most
of the time be attributed to damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with JimmyD.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ck2038 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the reply I had been hoping to get. You have probably had many newbies pass through with similar coins. I don't know if my photos are providing enough detail. Here is one last photo but you are probably right since you have experience. I really thought for sure. I'll keep searching.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ck2038 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was so disappointed I forgot to say thank you for taking the time to help me out. Thanks much.
Learn More...
United States
114976 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70443 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JimmyD calls it.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8276 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don't learn the coin hobby backwards.

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage or useless Machine Doubling, Die Deterioration, etc.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Edited by Earle42
06/28/2022 1:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all of the above, especially Earle42. Learn more about what errors look like before searching for them.
ša va bien aller

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ck2038 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am back with an update on this penny. After leaving discouraged about my find I found an individual on a Facebook group I joined who utilized overlays and her amazing knowledge to conclude my coin was indeed an error coin and not the pocket damaged coin everyone was quick to label it. It turns out it may not be the DMM I had guessed it could be though, however, it is a struck through dropped filling: isolated element error. I will share it when it arrives back but I figured since nobody was able to identify the error I would share this information. I have continued searching since and have found a few other keepers, nothing really special. I think the other best is a 2000 D Wide AM but the condition is nothing for me to be extremely proud about. I appreciate the original responses though and may find another coin at some point to ask about. Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3351 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...keep on hunting.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1557 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF If they are saying this is a dropped # the pictures provided doesn't look like it's flush with the surface which a dropped letter should be.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 478Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: