Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 Morgan Dollar You Vs NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 972Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1217 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  12:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's one that sold many years ago, a good one to test our skills on. What do you think NGC gave it?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74939 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither set of pics shows surface details clearly.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13688 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

the second set of photos are worthless, the first set the color is odd and does not look natural however you might see this on a proof. the denticles, lettering and wreath are solidly struck like you would see on a proof but there is definite wear on the coin especially the eagle and hair. whats confusing is the super clean cheek...so confused.

first thought is impaired proof. grade 55? but I reserve the right to change this if better photos are posted.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Beautiful coin, but definitely shows signs of wear and handling.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Morgan dollar pattern struck in copper.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
virtually no contact marks & does appear to be a copper pattern as NS recommended. So I will say PF66
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, Coins & the CCF what could be better?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Pillar of the Community
United States
9183 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Pattern coin Judd-1550B the reeds give the Proof away and the color can only be either a copper wash or a copper planchet. The Judd-1551 has the shorter leaf under the R and the Judd-1550A was only produced in normal silver.

I don't remember the grade but it's a proof, probably at least a PR67 A super nice copper example of a almost finalized transitional dollar. I don't think this was one of the Bob Simpson pattern coins, as his were all PCGS graded, so it's likely from the Lemus collection sold by Stack's over several years I'd check but that catalog is in storage. There were a couple of other large pattern collection/sales over the years that have happened, but I can't remember the names of them off hand.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
11/14/2022 3:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
9183 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jerry, I was trying to find it in an old Stack's catalog, but there are so many to go through, they didn't sell the entire Lemus collection under the "Lemus Name" didn't know Heritage handled it as well - it's a super coin for a pattern.

Actually just looked a bit closer at your link that is NOT the coin, it's the same pattern but not the same coin, the identifying marks are missing on the True View image and that is a PCGS slabbed coin. but Heritage did sell this exact coin from the Lemus/Queller collection as a NGC PR67RB.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns-a...bnail-071515

Thanks for jogging my memory, the old Stack's catalogs don't always have images tied to the coin I'm looking for. For grins this very coin sold raw at the Stack's sale in December 1987 for $3,960.00 quite the bargain compared to the $23,000 Heritage got for it in January 2009 - almost a $1000 per year increase.

Here is the old Stack's sale description and photo, not in color making it really hard to find it.

Don't have the Price Realized for the Elder sale in 1938 but around the estimate of $25.00 is a good guess, likely lower than that by a few dollars, here is his description from the catalog.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil War Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
11/14/2022 4:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1217 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2022  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct :) it is indeed the Heritage one linked.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13688 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2022  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not familiar with pattern coins but I do have a question on this one. if its a pattern coin why does it look like quite a bit of wear on both sides. how could a pattern coin not be struck properly or even circulated? was that common?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2602 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@panzaldi Look at the slab images in the Heritage link. It doesn't look like wear in those.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13688 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@panzaldi Look at the slab images in the Heritage link. It doesn't look like wear in those.

the link that westcoin posted looks like the OP coin. the link that Jerry posted is a different coin. westcoin link show what appears to be wear and is a match for the OP coin. Am I missing something here? maybe there are more than one pattern coin that was minted.

i would not think that a pattern coin would have such a weak strike and the reason for my question but I'm not familiar with them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2602 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm confused too. The Heritage links that Jerry and westcoin posted are both the same coin. Look at the mark next to M, numerous dots, and the fingerprints, etc - all the same. In 2009 it was in an NGC holder and in 2022 a PCGS slab. The @TobyJ (OP) images are the same as the NGC auction ones, so also the same coin. The images from the NGC sale make it look worn, the PCGS TrueView less so, and the Heritage slab images in that auction doesn't look like any wear to me. Heritage images from 2009 and prior generally stink, IMO.

The Stack's link by numismatic student is a different coin. I'm guessing by "not the same coin", westcoin is talking about some other one he was thinking of?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: