Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Cast Contemporary Counterfeit Half Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 241Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3491 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I recently acquired a rather interesting bulk lot of 18th century half pennies, and there appear to be some unusual examples in the mix.
For instance, I am not sure what to make of this rather rough George II example.

The Britannia side has very bulbous letters and has some white metal exposed where the date should be.

And the obverse has very crude lettering and some raised dots in the fields - particularly by George's nose.

What do you make of this coin? Would you surmise that it is a cast contemporary counterfeit?

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might just be me but those sure look like file marks.
Learn More...
United States
25367 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@arch, what is the weight of this piece?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archraz, it certainly looks cast! Can you show us the rim?
As for it being a contemporary counterfeit, we'll have to wait for true experts to weigh in.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73205 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's start with weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1731 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2022  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let's start with weight.

No need... it absolutely is, and is a particularly crude one at that.

Someone more versed in the specifics can elaborate more, but just from observation, many contemporary casts end to appear in a brass alloy as opposed to pure copper/dark bronze. This appears to be an example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3491 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone - wow, thanks for all of the responses! To start, it is 9.13 grams and 28mm. I don't see any casting seams along the edge, but I definitely see some peculiar lines along the edge which are possibly due to someone filing it.

I'll post some more pics very soon.
Edited by Archraz
11/24/2022 11:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3491 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone, as promised, here are a few images of the edges.

As you can see, there are a lot of lines along the edges, which are likely filing marks. Most of these marks also appear to be a golden, brassy color.

Out of curiosity, how rare are cast as opposed to struck contemporary counterfeits? Although this coin depicts George II, is it likely that it was struck during his reign? Or could it have been struck in the later decades of the eighteenth century? (When plenty of older coppers were still in circulation)

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: