Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1856 Seated Quarter Love Token VF (New Info & Pics)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 581Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  1:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Windmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The baptism record of the person who owned this love token (Eliza Fox) is on the wall in my hall but it didn't occur to me it was her's until now. I've added pictures of it. My wife had it restored by a preservationist about 30 years ago. With this connection I can fill in some of the more interesting snippets of the story. Eliza married William Kidney who served in Company M, 2nd Regiment Michigan Volunteer Calvary. He served under Capt Dickey, Col Grainger and later Col Phil Sheridan for the duration of the war and was discharged a corporal on Aug 17, 1865 in Macon, GA. This information from an account of his engagements recorded on a lithograph of the Grand Monument presented to his Wife Eliza on May 30th 1896 which hangs in my entry hall. The record of his engagements he fought in is lengthy and he was captured once and paroled and went back to the war. I have his civil war papers including his civil war medical physical clearance, enlistment, leave papers, pay slips, etc. Family oral history says he enlisted with a friend who was killed at Gettysburg and he wrapped his friend in a blanket and buried him under a tree. The family intended to recover the body, but never did. Oral history also conveys the commanding officer utilized him to carry messages as he was so young. This strategy didn't prevent him from receiving a saber cut to his face and after the war he wore a beard and was known to carry a pistol even around the farm. Eliza had a daughter who later married my great grandfather. I live on William & Eliza's farm. I've also served in combat and later came back to restore his Greek Revival home here on the farm and that is where I am now and shall likely remain. I had it my mind the love token was masculine and don't think of Eliza's maiden name as often so it took a minute. So now I have more information to include with the token. I will need to catalog the small items. I've spent so much time restoring the buildings that were in true despair that the small things get put away and not thought of much. I don't recall dad mentioning this being Eliza's. He may not have not known or I forgot. I'll incorporate some of these historical items in my coin photos to make them more interesting. Thank you to the posters who provided information. I look at your posts and find other helpful information.

I wonder if anyone else has come across a pin in the same style? I need to put it in its own little box with a note explaining what it is. Any information to include in my note is most welcome. It's been in the keepsake box for years and years. I don't have any history on it.

I do think I will wear it to the airport today to pick up the family and see if anyone notices.

Edited by Windmiller
11/29/2022 09:25 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75184 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it was pretty common to engrave Seated coinage as keepsakes in the later part of the 1800s. they are usually called love tokens. they come from crude to incredibly ornate and on all denominations. copper coins are the rarest metal because copper makes very poor jewelry due to it reactive nature.

prices are all over the place. they are closer to art than numismatics in that regard. if someone happened to have my initials ornately carved on a large cent I would probably overpay for such a trinket. same coin with different initials would be of much less interest to me.

i think its completely reasonable to wear it if you want to. that half the fun!
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Edited by CarrsCoins
11/28/2022 1:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2627 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool to see one with the original pin and still functional.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2562 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very neat love token! I buy these whenever I come across either a good deal or something unique. If it came from a family member of yours, maybe you can trace the initials to someone in the family tree.

If it were my love token, I would label it as:
1856 Seated quarter Love Token VF - "EF" (initials)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9238 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Windmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickelsearcher,

I like the cabinet in your profile pic. It reminds me of the cabinet I built when I attended North Bennett Street School's 3-month cabinet making course. Restoration work has kept me from doing anything similar since.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Windmiller, what an incredible story and a fantastic family heirloom set!
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
2562 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detective work!! With an additional story behind it, pieces like this only increase in value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice token.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: